Tbnewswatch Local News
Friday November 27 2015
10:24 AM EST
2014-07-22 at MIDNIGHT

Unanimous decision

By Jamie Smith, tbnewswatch.com

The mayor can't say much about city council's decision on the James Street swing bridge other than it was unanimous.

Last week CN gave the city a 5 p.m. Tuesday deadline to respond to an offer that the company would pay 50 per cent, up to a maximum of $1.5 million, for a short-term solution to get the bridge re-opened to vehicle traffic.

Council met behind closed doors with three lawyers Monday night for more than two hours before emerging with a unanimous decision. But Hobbs said the city wants to tell the company what that response is before telling the media, including whether or not the decision will get the bridge re-opened.

"CN went public with their letter, that's not the way we do business we're going to advise them of our decision first," he said.

Hobbs wouldn't say what the tone of the meeting was, what council's concerns were or why it took more than two hours to reach the decision.

"I can't talk about closed session issues, I apologize that's the way it is," he said.

"We used up all the time wisely."

The city will meet with media at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Click here to submit a letter to the editor.

Click here to report a typo or error


Note: Comments that appear on the site are not necessarily the opinion of tbnewswatch.com.