Tbnewswatch Local News
2014-07-22 at 3:23PM

City police now investigating fifth homicide case of 2014

Matt Vis, tbnewswatch.com
By tbnewswatch.com

THUNDER BAY -- Two men and a woman face second-degree murder charges following a violent weekend in the Intercity area.

Keith Mishenene, 21, Felton Sakanee, 26 and Larissa Shingabis, 20, were arrested in the death of a man, whose burned body was found in a grassy area between the Harbour Expressway and Field Street.

A post-mortem examination concluded the deceased male suffered injuries from a violent assault and severe burns to his body.

The identity of the victim is being withheld until next of kin is notified.

Thunder Bay Police Service Det. Sgt. Don Lewis said all three suspects and the victim were known to each other and while some intoxicants may have played a role, the investigating is ongoing and those facts are still being collected.

Mishenene and Sakanee are scheduled to appear on court on Tuesday, with Shingabis slated to appear on Wednesday.

The three accused were arrested within the last couple of days in the city's south side and Lewis said when more than one suspect is involved, a significant amount of information has to be gathered and chased down by investigators.

"That can cause a delay in identifying what the proper charges are to lay and against whom. It protects the integrity of the investigation also," Lewis said.

Police say they completed a grid search in the area and expect to release the crime scene later on Tuesday once all the evidence in the city’s fifth homicide of 2014 has been collected.

In a release issued by police, Chief J.P. Levesque said law enforcement officials are aware the area is a beacon for unwanted and violent activities and stressed the need to make it less attractive to these type of activities.

Lewis said they would like whoever is responsible for the area to take out the bush and trees and make it less attractive for people to frequent.

In 2012, the body of Adam Yellowhead was found in the area. Joseph Wesley was convicted of manslaughter and received an eight-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to the charge.


Click here to report a typo or error

Comments for this story are unavailable. Read our comment guideline.