THUNDER BAY -- A father and son are back in the city safe and sound after a scary experience in Wisconsin over the weekend.
The family's RV caught fire and was completely destroyed while vacationing in the U.S. The Pentinnens were on their way to an airshow in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, when their vehicle started emitting dark smoke from the engine.
The father and son went to investigate. After uncovering the hood a massive inferno erupted from the engine block.
Among the things lost in the fire were their clothes, wallets, credit cards, laptops, and passports.
The sole item recovered from the fire was Hannes Penttinen's journal, which contains personal entries dating back to 2007.
They say the people of Marathon City, Wisconsin, quickly took in the pair and helped provide them with everything they might need.
The Penttinens are blaming the fire on squirrels and chipmunks chewing on the wires in the RV while it was parked.
Despite this frightening experience, the family says they intend to buy another RV in the near future and continue with the family road-trip tradition