Hagi

Marlin Travel

Skyscraper  -LU - PowWow

B-Box - LU - Enrolment

A pro-waterfront event centre group plans to host a May 10 barbecue and boot hockey game at the Water Street bus terminal to show support for the downtown location. Will you attend this rally?

2012-04-13 at 10:15

Cyclist struck while riding on Memorial Avenue sidewalk

By Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com
Do you want to BREAK YOUR BANK?Banks put holds your cheques. They make you wait in line. Choose a better, quicker option. Visit XTRA CASH!Click here for full list of services

A 40-year-old man was taken to hospital on Thursday night after suffering non life-threatening injuries while riding his bike on Memorial Avenue.

The cyclist was traveling south on the sidewalk adjacent to the busy thoroughfare when he was struck crossing Central Avenue.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance and later released.

Police, who have not indicated whether charges will be laid or not, said in a release their investigation continues.

Comments

tbayguy1985 says:
lol, anything to try and get more support for the stupid bike lanes.

Don't get me wrong, hopefully this guy's is OK with no serious injuries, but it's just convenient that this article was posted shortly after the article about the bike lanes and how much safer they supposedly are.
4/13/2012 10:22:31 AM
jb says:
Do you think this accident was a set up by the city & the media? You mockingly comment on how much the safer the bike lanes are supposed to be yet, this person wasn't using a lane so what is your point? Your comment just proves how far your head is buried in your behind if you think adults riding on sidewalks (against or with the direction of traffic) is safe.
4/13/2012 11:52:29 AM
Gltmne says:
Convenient? The guy got hit by a car. Those "stupid bike lanes" are in almost every major city on the planet. This is a step forward for Thunder Bay, not sure why people like you are against them.
4/13/2012 11:59:51 AM
friedfishy says:
Are you smoking something funny? Those bikelanes are blatently rediculous.
4/13/2012 1:21:23 PM
Delbert Grady says:
No kidding!

The cyclist wasnt on the sidewalk if he was hit while crossing Central ave.

If we could hook up generators to the spin that comes from city hall and our media, Zwig would be in a new line of law sui.. errr I mean new line of electricity production.
4/13/2012 12:12:55 PM
sky high says:
The reason he was struck on the crosswalk is because he had been riding on the sidewalk. The crosswalk is an extension of the sidewalk. If the biker had been riding his bike legally he would not have been stuck on the crosswalk, so he would not have been taken away in an ambulance. Do some research before you comment please.
4/14/2012 8:52:43 AM
Wolfie says:
Uh, Delbert, he was in the crosswalk across Central, which is an extension of the sidewalk. How else is someone on a sidewalk supposed to cross an intersection?

This is very different than being in a roadway or a bike lane.
4/13/2012 12:28:10 PM
Delbert Grady says:
When you step off the curb, youre no longer on the sidewalk.

When we're children responsible parents taught us how to cross the street. We werent on the sidewalk anymore.
4/13/2012 12:33:28 PM
today says:
I can't recall the last time that a pedestrian on a sidewalk was seriously injured or killed on a sidewalk by a cyclist. Where's this all coming from?
4/13/2012 8:12:45 PM
cob says:
Well, if he was riding his bike across Central in the crosswalk, then he should be charged. The law is that you are supposed to dismount and walk your bike across at controlled intersections if you are on the sidewalk and cross in the crosswalk. Really, anybody who thinks he or she can whip across a street in a crosswalk without making eye contact with drivers who are attempting to make a left turn are taking a huge chance. If you are on foot you may have the right-of-way but do you want to be "dead right"? Runners, skate-boarders, etc. take note.
4/13/2012 10:56:36 AM
michaelnigharvey says:
hope the cyclist recovers....that being said....cyclists should not be on our major roads or adjacent sidewalks unless they carry full insurance like an auto and the cyclist should also be subject to the same fines, terms and conditions as auto drivers.
4/13/2012 11:02:47 AM
edhtbon says:
Insurance to ride a bicycle? Are you insane? Or better question yet, are you an insurance agent or do you own an insurance company?

If we adopt your logic, 6 and 10 year old kids riding their bicycles, and getting much needed exercise, will now be required to apply for part-time jobs to pay for insurance so they can get on their bicycles. In addition, there are already rules, laws and fines in place for cyclists, we don't need duplication of laws. Get with reality buddy.
4/13/2012 11:47:19 AM
Delbert Grady says:
If cyclists want to be treated as vehicles on the roadway and share that same roadway they should have a licence, insurance, and license plates.

If my vehicle is damaged by a cyclist why should they not be held responsible or held to the same conditions as any other vehicle on that roadway?

Dont like it cyclists?

Then you should have shut your mouths and just kept riding on the side of the road or sidewalks as people did since the beginning.

You want special treatment? You got it. Now pay for it.

4/13/2012 12:38:32 PM
FudgeThis says:
seriously buddy, get off your high horse

ever tried to ride a bike around here? do you know what your talking about? we dont want special treatment we want FAIRNESS and RESPECT. who said we wanted to be treated as anything but? personally i wanna ride safely and not worry about drivers like you who dont understand or care to. Lucky you drive, hope you get on a bike and put up with what we go through. im sure driving in your comfy vehicle is soooo dangerous and hard that opening your eyes to look for a biker is simply too difficult

Grow up and be responsible for your driving. Your in a vehicile we are on bikes.
4/13/2012 1:21:20 PM
Delbert Grady says:
High horse?

Fairness and respect?

Then should have licences, plates with annual renewals, and mandatory insurance.

The other users of our roads and highways have those, so if you want fairness you should too. Thats fairness.

Honestly though, I dont think its a good idea, but since the bicyclists put themselves above us motorists as if they are some superior beings, you get what you deserve. Im willing to go with the scorched earth policy here and complain that cyclists should pay.

Cyclists made this mess. The old saying "be careful what you wish for" comes into play here. You wanted special attention, now you got some. Pay you FAIR share, and maybe youll get that respect you so desperately desire.

or speak out against these stupid bike lanes.
4/13/2012 2:35:25 PM
edhtbon says:
Delbert, you complain when any level of gov't spends money on anything. Then you come out with this ridiculous idea... are you going to pay the costs of enacting licensing on bicycles? Surely, given wages that are paid in this country, annual renewal fees will not make up the cost of running the program. Not to mention the majority of people will never license their bicycle and the cops don't have the time to chase them around.

You also haven't answered the question about kids on bicycles. Now I know you despise youth, but do you actually expect young kids to have to pay to ride their bikes to school? Or to cycle over to their friends house?

Cyclists didn't make any "mess". They are trying to get from Point A to Point B and do society a favour by taking their bikes out (I don't expect you will be able to figure out how they do the rest of us a favour, but those who think logically can figure it out for themselves).

And by the way its illegal to bike on the sidewalk, and I drive.
4/13/2012 4:35:26 PM
panzerIV says:
Under the highway traffic act: a motor vehicle is something that is pushed, pulled, or propelled by something other then muscular power.

In order to need insurance one need to be driving a motor vehicle under the Insurance act.

A bike is forced onto the road after they break the 17 inch diameter because of safety for pedestrians walking. But they don't qualify as a motor vehicle and in that case don't need a license, insurance or license plates.

I'm sure if they tried that people including drivers would say that its a cash grab.

If I damage a vehicle biking I'm going to give you my information I have a driver license, health card, etc that all show who I am. If a vehicle damages another vehicle but takes off whats the difference between a bike and a car. Guaranteed u don't get the license plate number in time.

Not sure why your so angry about bikes or things in general. Your comment started fine but was meaningless in the end because of the ending. Calm down it gonna be ok
4/13/2012 1:52:03 PM
drdolittle says:
Don't feed the trolls.
4/13/2012 2:40:09 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
Who hit who, again?
4/13/2012 11:21:26 AM
Sui Generis says:
The title of the article is misleading. He wasn't on the sidewalk when he was hit. He was on the road, riding to the next sidewalk. But, I suppose the point IS to get people up in arms after the 'it's not safe to ride on sidewalks' article the other day.
4/13/2012 11:29:19 AM
Boffo says:
The headline is misleading. It makes it sound like a car purposefully went up on the sidewalk to hit him, or someone with a big stick hit him.

He was on the road, and if he wanted to use the sidewalk lane, he should have dismounted to cross. I hope he recovers soon.
4/13/2012 11:32:16 AM
spinthebig4 says:
I'm a cyclist, I've ridden my bike in LOTS of cities. Anybody that's riding a bike for transportation (or riding on roads at all), should have a helmet, and invest 18 dollars in a mirror (mirrycle is a good one). A week ago I almost hit someone who was riding on the sidewalk. NEVER ride your bike on the sidewalk, every driveway, is a new intersection.
4/13/2012 11:34:08 AM
yer joking says:
Every driveway, is a new intersection when yer ridin' in a Byke Lane, so they tell me. In a previous post stats said 4 times more accidents occur when riding properly than when riding improperly. I'm thinking banning bicycles may save lives and add to the tax base in Thunder Bay.
4/13/2012 2:10:33 PM
TBDR says:
I just love how everyone is blaming the cyclists, though deep down we all know what really happened. The driver of the vehicle didn't check his blind spot. When cyclists are on the road, they get blamed. When they're in a bike lane, they get blamed. When they're on the sidewalk they get blamed. When are we going to start blaming the multitude of brutal drivers in this city?

Signed, a driver.
4/13/2012 11:36:08 AM
nads74 says:
as my last comment says...I saw the accident it WAS the cyclists fault...had nothing to do with a driver not checking his blind spot...bikes should be flying off of the meridian as your merging!
4/13/2012 1:13:40 PM
hockeyskates says:
Nice factual report Leith. The guy was struck crossing the road not riding on the sidewalk.

Check you headline. "Cyclist struck while riding on Memorial Avenue sidewalk"

4/13/2012 11:44:50 AM
UrJoking says:
ok michaelnigharvey

So your saying that cyclists should not ride on our major roads or sidewalks unless we carry insurance? seriously? Im a student working part time, I dont have a car because I DONT want to pay insurance, nor can I afford it. As someone who bikes every single day, i suggest that maybe drivers should pay more attention ie. look BOTH ways at an intersection when waiting for a light. Cars just come and whip around those corners only looking one way, in the direction of on coming cars. How can you make eye contact if the driver is not looking at you? The bike lanes are no safer then sidewalks, especially since major roads are busy and we run the risk of being hit by car mirrors. I ride on the sidewalk on major streets, im not risking my life on a bike on that road or dealing with angery drivers. And as far as im aware, we are subject to the same laws, fines and terms. Im not minimizing the bad habits of some bikers but...maybe give us cyclists a little break?
4/13/2012 11:49:22 AM
brandnewlow says:
ive almost got hit just walking across at a cross walk by drivers.. i agree.. people need to look!
4/13/2012 12:23:54 PM
nads74 says:
the van was merging...in a merge lane!!!!!!! Bike cut him off!
4/13/2012 1:16:32 PM
DGN says:
Memorial is a dangerous road for cyclists. Automobile drivers on that road do not give a safe amount of room for cyclists. Cyclists often feel they have to ride on the sidewalk there due to lack of room given by car drivers. To say cyclists should not be on OUR major roads is ridiculous. Bicycles are vehicles on the road and automobiles are to pass them in a safe manor just like passing a car.
This cyclist was on the sidewalk which is not proper. But this does show that bicycle lanes are necessary for the safety of cyclists, pedestrians and automobile drivers alike. The statistics show all over the world that bicycle lanes have reduced accidents and collisions.
4/13/2012 11:58:28 AM
sbn says:
I also hope the cyclist is ok. As a cyclist on the city streets, with or without the bike lanes, i find that you have to have your head up all of the time and keep an eye on the traffic. To anyone who rides a bike on a sidewalk and is an adult you are at a much greater risk of being hurt. Why is this the case? I asked myself, why are bike riders on sidewalks more likely to get hit. I think one of the answers is, there are more intersections with back lanes, drive ways, and of course pedestrians. I can see why people need to ride on the sidewalk because it is scary sometimes to ride on the road. The person who was injured needs to be charged under the law for being on a sidewalk intended for pedestrians. I will continue to try to ride in our city, on the street and provide an example to drivers, by stopping at the red light. I love getting the exercise also, and not be overweigh !
4/13/2012 12:01:27 PM
today says:
If safety is the reason for bike lanes, why are there not any on Memorial, Fort William Road, Balmoral, Arthur St where they are seriously needed for the cyclists. How else are cyclists supposed bike across town? I'm not speaking about a leasure ride meandering around side streets, but using the roads for a mode of transportation,back and forth to work. To all that say cyclists should not be on the sidewalks...try riding down Memorial at 5:00 pm...then give your opinion...if you're still around to be able to.
4/13/2012 12:03:50 PM
BetterThunderBay says:
Today,
I couldn't agree with you more. I ride down Memorial nearly every day, and Balmoral several times a week. Bike lanes would greatly improve safety on the streets you mentioned. Granted if a cyclist is riding properly, about 1 meter from the curb, motorists usually pass with enough room. Problem is, there's too many here that pass too close. We need the lane markings to help allocate space.

Victoria is only a couple blocks away from Arthur. I'd prioritize others that you said. A cyclist can avoid riding the length of Arthur and just head to Arthur at the cross street closest to their destination, then ride in the regular travel lane.

Memorial on the other hand, is absolutely critical. There are so many cyclists on that road riding improperly (sidewalk, wrong way, etc.) that bike lane infrastructure should be in place. It's not on the Active Transportation plan, but the city will spending tons of money on Memorial soon (it's a "vision route"), so that needs to be on the table.
4/13/2012 12:43:42 PM
panzerIV says:
The city has a 25 year plan that will see routes all over the city. You'll be able to get from one side to the other. Right now they're testing them out on smaller streets to see if its working or not. Victoria is a test run on a medium sized street and they're working out the bugs
4/13/2012 1:45:20 PM
Unravelled says:
I just got home from work by riding down memorial at 5:00pm. I had no issues while I rode with the cars from traffic light to traffic lighht. A bike lane on each side of the road would be very nice, but so would cleaning up the dirt in the gutter.
4/13/2012 5:31:29 PM
today says:
You're a brave man. Bringing the kids with you next week? I've ridden this route many a time, (sidewalks now)I'm not as a big gambler as you obviously, but I don't plan to make my children orphans anytime soon if I have a choice. I think that my odds of survival are better on the sidewalk. Everyone has a choice, I've made mine. When it comes to risking my life, I won't be putting that decision in some bureaucrats hands. I'll pay the fine. Goodluck.
4/13/2012 8:05:02 PM
today says:
As well, I have found riding the sidewalks along Memorial, that most drivers are usually polite, they will back up for you, or move ahead and feel apologetic if they didn't notice you coming. I'll always make eye to eye contact with a driver before going thru an intersection/driveway.
4/13/2012 9:46:31 PM
Arch Stanton says:
Reminds me of a very similar incident last year. Was waiting at a junction to enter Memorial Ave when a cyclist (on the side-walk) crossed the junction and started yelling I was blocking his way(!!!)

A recent Automobile Association (UK) study confirmed that most cyclist injuries are durectly due to cyclists breaking or making up their own Rules of the Road.
4/13/2012 12:08:00 PM
bonzo says:
so if he were a pedestrian at the same place and time, the driver still would've hit him, no?
4/13/2012 12:18:41 PM
BetterThunderBay says:
I feel that this is to be expected. We know the statistics. Last year 74% of cycling related accidents in Thunder Bay were due to sidewalk riding. Riding on the sidewalk is dangerous.

It does appear that he was hit while using the crosswalk, and as people note, riding in a crosswalk is also illegal. It's slow to walk at every crosswalk, which is why it's done (wrongfully), so to avoid these conflicts cyclists should use the roadway (unless of course they're riding bikes with wheels that are under 24 inches in diameter).

Stay positive, and don't lash out at the people who are using information available to them to improve citizen safety. The city is only trying to keep people safe, which is what the story was about the other day, and what bike lanes are about.

I might add that stories are often published when a cyclist is hit, there was one about a sidewalk rider charged recently for causing an accident BEFORE the story about the dangers of sidewalk riding was published.
4/13/2012 12:25:43 PM
yer joking says:
These are very good stats to quote. Were they contrived by the same folks who designed the bike lanes. Is this what our world has come to?
74% - Cyclist riding on sidewalk
15% - Cyclist riding properly WTH
7% - Cyclist riding against flow of traffic (on road)
4% - Cyclist error (Ex. Not stopping at a stop sign)Obvously the best way to ride a bike as deomoed by the Majority of bicycle riders in Thunder Bay.

4/14/2012 11:29:44 AM
Denthygmeech says:
From what I understand the cyclist was crossing the intersection on a red light when he was hit by a vehicle going through the intersection on a green light.
4/13/2012 12:47:39 PM
DazeofThunder says:
Please lets not fight over it....if someone were in the wrong, let THEM take accountability for it instead of passing our own judgements. Yes, cyclists need safe places to bike too. If roadways aren't the answer, and they aren't, and sidewalks aren't the answer, then let us build a network of trails that can safely get people throughout the city. The bike lines are just a cheap way of doing things and are a patchwork answer to the problem. I would gladly invest my hard earned tax dollars for that rather than some of the wastage we use it on. I would rather have a network of bike trails than a multiplex.
4/13/2012 12:59:34 PM
BIKER says:
agreed. we fight about it but really we should work together. share the road. T-Bay put on your thinking caps and figure something out before some serious stuff goes down. i dont know, crazy suggestion....ask the bikers for their opinon?
4/13/2012 1:25:59 PM
Sui Generis says:
I agree with you, and would also be happy to see my tax dollars going to properly constructed bike trails. I'm in full support of safe pathways for cyclists. However, the ones we currently have do not qualify as safe.

Now, if the city wanted to look at the entire situation practically, and in comparison to other cities where this has been a success, then they would have added the paths next to the sidewalks, and not inches away from speeding traffic.
4/13/2012 2:05:03 PM
DazeofThunder says:
4/13/2012 1:04:38 PM
nads74 says:
I saw the accident...he was totally in the wrong ...the driver was merging off of central onto memorial and the guy on the bike was on the sidewalk over the meridian ... totally not the drivers fault. And if people are saying there should be bike lane on Memorial ave...I'm out of here, they are a giant pain in the butt!
4/13/2012 1:11:11 PM
wayne says:
why is it that sidewalks are considered unsafe for cyclists, and yet safe for pedestrians?
4/13/2012 1:17:23 PM
The Wolf says:
It is the speed of travel.
4/13/2012 10:05:58 PM
theonlyopinionthatmatters says:
Interested to see who was in the wrong in this one. An observation I notice in this city is how annoyed drivers are with bikes being on the road in general. You can't win either way, drivers get mad when your on the road, and get mad when your on the sidewalk. The older aging crowd refuse to embrace the bike lanes or changes in general.
4/13/2012 1:55:03 PM
NONE says:
I drove past the scene shortly after it happened last night and obviously the cycalist ran the red light and the driver of the van was not at fault. Bike paths would not have helped the guy in this case
4/13/2012 1:56:48 PM
laurie says:
In my opinion.. all pedestrians, bikers, drivers need to pay more attention...
4/13/2012 1:59:12 PM
drdolittle says:
If a cyclist is crossing a road from a sidewalk as opposed to in the lane then they are wrong and should be blamed. I can sympathize to a certain extent, as a bicycle commuter in this town, I have experienced many motorists over the years purposely come as close as they can to cyclists in an attempt to push them off the road(what that point is I'm not sure). I suppose riding on the sidewalk provides an illusion of more safety. More bike lanes are definitely part of the solution. It's safer for all and the cost to make them as a percentage of the current roads budget must be fairly minimal. I obey more traffic laws on my bike than your typical unpredictable Thunder Bay driver and I also pay taxes so please don't question my right to a place on the road!

4/13/2012 2:29:26 PM
Delbert Grady says:
Id rather have seen money spent on a nice system of bike paths in this city instead of the stupid marina or a dreamscape multiplex.

Thats real infrastructure. Thats something that makes a city a nicer place. Not hotels or condos.

See, Im not anti everything, just anti wasteful spending on feel good projects.
4/13/2012 2:41:27 PM
tbayguy1985 says:
Nothing bugs me more than stupid people who have nothing better to do then to try and pretend to sound smart.

What I meant was it was convenient timing for the report, not for the accident. I hope he's fine, with no serious injuries. I would never hope or wish any injury to any tax paying citizen of this city.

What I'm saying is, this was just good timing for the City to use this as an excuse to try and force us to believe the bike lanes are safer.

I'm not against bike lanes, I think they are a great idea, in theory, and they work in other cities with proper planning. I'm against the poor implementation and design of what they have done with our bike lanes. What they did to Court St and Victoria is embarrassing, and has done nothing but cause congestion on both those streets.

4/13/2012 3:47:05 PM
DazeofThunder says:
To whomever manages these comments. Your manipulations of the comments placements and the people who agree with them is contrary to my ethical boundaries. Just to keep people fighting. This is my last post to your company. Have a good day...
4/13/2012 4:01:47 PM
mazda323 says:
I am not against cyclists as a whole, but I must say, I get totally p.o.'d when I see them running red lights/stop signs, not signalling, or rounding a corner in order to make a wide U-turn to avoid a light. If you want to be in traffic then you have to behave as if you're in traffic, not above it.
As for bike lanes, if they are done properly, they would be fantastic! Thunder Bay has them all wrong. For example: instead of making Victoria Avenue a bike route, they should have used either Donald or Miles Streets, which are far less busy, and limited parking to one side of the street and the other for the bike lane - next to the curb! Not next to parked cars. Whoever thought that would work obviously doesn't ride a bike (but perhaps should?)
As an aside...think of what the million dollars spent on those stupid poles at the marina could have bought us in bike lanes. I just shake my head...
4/13/2012 4:05:37 PM
Sandwiches1123 says:
This story is exactly why the City needs to get rid of the bike lanes as they exist. The cyclist was crossing the street, not on the sidewalk (which is very misleading in the headline, btw).

Motorists in this town do not pay enough attention to pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Furthermore, the man should have been CYCLING ON THE ROAD. That's the law but don't tell Mr. Krupper that. Heaven forbid cyclists are constantly in the wrong by biking on our City sidewalks. If this city wants to be serious about bike lanes, they need to get serious about cyclists traveling on the road and not the sidewalk. By Mr. Krupper's logic, the sidewalk causes more accidents. If so, then cyclists need to start getting fined for riding on our sidewalks. If cyclists can't respect pedestrians on the sidewalk, how are motorists to respect cyclists on the road? Either enforce the law or get rid of it.
4/13/2012 4:09:51 PM
Lappewriter says:
Here's a suggestion, why not turn memorial ave into a four lane one way road you would do the same to water st only in the opposite direction. You would have more than enough room for bike lanes, bus lanes, turning lanes, if the city is planning on the multi plex downtown I think it would help ease traffic.
4/13/2012 4:13:24 PM
tannharr says:
I actually wrote an email to the city's infrastructure department suggesting this exact idea you have, about 5 years ago! Never got a response. I strongly believe that it will not only ease traffic issues, but will significantly reduce the amount of traffic lights needed. Both streets could be maintained at 60km or increased to 70km even, with bus and bike lanes, merge lanes to enter and exit businesses. It can extend from the intersection of May and Simpson/Arthur all the way to Water and John.
4/13/2012 6:44:25 PM
rootbear says:
Wow, this wouldn't have been news a year ago!
4/13/2012 5:24:31 PM
ThunderBayFullOfCrime says:
My friend was killed riding his bike on the road, going home from work at 5am. No cars really around on mountdale until a drunk driver (which is common here) ran him down in a pick up truck. He always rode his bike to and from work on the road. I don't drive, I ride a bike and I think these poorly constructed bike lanes are a death trap. The drivers in this town either drive like they are on a race track or drive so slow, they are 10-20 below the speed limit. If this guy got off his bike like your supposed to and walked it across, this never would have happened but instead he kicked his pedals into high gear and tried to boot past the car turning which is the wrong thing to do. He was careless and so was the driver. How many times have I nearly been hit by cars turning and I'm on foot a lot at pedestrian crosswalks. Both were at fault, the biker for trying to beat the car, and the driver for not being more careful.

I do hope this cyclist recovers.
4/13/2012 5:57:22 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
Phone and ask the Traffic Dept. of the Toronto Metropolitan Police Force who is generally responsible for auto-car mishaps, and they will tell you it's the CAR...over 90% of the time. Drivers are careless. Anyone ever noticed that? I bet 75% of the "driver's" in this burg couldn't pass a road test.
4/13/2012 6:02:16 PM
imhere says:
Charge the cyclist for not biking where he should have been. Cyclists are suppose to be on the road going the same way as traffic NOT on the sidewalk or biking against traffic.
4/13/2012 6:30:25 PM
Tom Sanderson says:
Wow!
This story has gone from a conspiracy theory (JP) to restructuring the traffic flow (Lappewriter) with a whole lot of hate, stupidity and small town thinking in-between. It looks like maybe 3 intelligent people googled the laws before posting and rest were just blabbing for the sake of blabbing.

I would take a wild guess that most of the people who commented negatively about cyclists and bike lanes have never spent any time in a city. I'm not talking about flying to Toronto for a doctors appointment and riding in a taxi to and from the appointment.

Thunder Bay is not a city folks. It is a big town where most people are related to each other. I pray that none of you ever are in a situation where you have to drive in a city like Toronto or Vancouver because you will either be dead, injured or charged with a driving offence, hopefully not manslaughter.
If you all have valid concerns about the safety and placement of these bike lanes why don't you go to the department responsible
4/13/2012 7:42:42 PM
moonpie says:
So you're saying you agree that cyclists should share the road with vehicles? Brings to memory the cyclist killed on the streets of Toronto in 2009 by former Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant. Goes to show cyclists aren't safe on the street regardless of where you live.
4/14/2012 12:13:13 AM
moonpie says:
If cyclists are to share the road with vehicles, they should be entitled to a full lane, not shuffled off to the side of the road dodging potholes, sewers, puddles and gravel. I'll be riding my bike in the middle of MY lane, if drivers don't like it, go home and write city council about these ridiculous bicycle laws.
4/13/2012 7:47:52 PM
crankypants says:
honestly, unless bikers can bike the speed limit they shouldn't be allowed on the road. simply because thunder bay drivers are too day dreamy and impatient to respect all bikers... thats why i feel safer on the sidewalk. every car would be honking at me on the road going so damn slow.
4/13/2012 8:15:24 PM
tbny says:
Wow Thunder Bay! Keeping it classy with over 60 odd comments about a guy being hit by a car on his bike. It's no wonder why this city can't move into the future on the larger issues that we face. Let's all take a deep breath and try not to hurt each other on the roads, side walks, etc...
4/13/2012 10:27:02 PM
laurie says:
Almost every adult biker I saw today had headphones on.. really how can they hear anything?
4/13/2012 10:52:07 PM
mazda323 says:
Last night,930ish, driving eastbound on Red River in the outside lane. Stopped at red light at Clarkson, light turns green. Bicycle on sidewalk, on the wrong side with no lights on his bike, did not even LOOK UP to see that his light was red and just cruised through the intersection. Thank God we saw him! Honked the horn a good long one, he still didn't bat an eyelash. Had a car been behind us, in the inside lane, saw the light change to green and sped up, that biker would have gone flying, and he would have no one to blame but himself. Sure, it was raining and he was getting wet, but if you want to ride a bike, that's the chance you take. The only thing this guy did right was have a helmet on his head which wouldn't have been much help if he'd been creamed by a car doing 50km/h (the speed limit on RRR). This wasn't a kid either by the way, it was an adult (whose days will be numbered if he keeps this behaviour up).
4/14/2012 7:11:32 AM
Delbert Grady says:
The bigger problem here is nobody seems to realize the divide that happens among citizens when city tries to cater to everyone's little special needs.

People are divided more than ever before because governments of all kinds are trying to force everyone to accept everything from special interest groups. Government needs to step back and get out of the appeasement process.
4/14/2012 8:32:08 AM
jayardia says:
I've biked up and down Memorial since I was twelve. Now I'm thirty-six. I've been clipped by vehicles twice while on the roadside, right by the curb. My experience tells me that the sidewalk is safest (on Memorial), especially when south bound, -although the biker MUST dismount and walk through the street intersections, and exercise 360 degrees of caution when crossing business entrances and exits.

Experience also showed me a different option as well- if you're going straight through to the other side of town, don't bike on Memorial.

Using body language to show your 'intention of awareness' -(i.e. head turning and eye contact) is a big deal. And it's something I don't see enough from Thunder Bay's bikers ...OR motor vehicle drivers.

laurie-- A biker actually biking with headphones on? Ugh. 'Willful, dangerous ignorance'. Whether "switched on" or not, -that's bloody shameful.
4/14/2012 8:50:30 AM
flyinjerky says:
In this city, I'm just flat out amazed that it wasn't a story about someone driving their car down the sidewalk. I think we're really coming along. Good for us! THUNDER BAY!! THUNDER BAY!!
4/14/2012 8:52:17 AM
countrychick says:
A number of years ago i was involved in a cyclist incident, i had just gotten off work and i was driving straight down cumberland st i was not at a intersection or anything it was january and the temparature was about -35 below and i am still not 100% if the cylist hit me or i hit them.. i heard a thumb i looked in the rear view mirror and i saw a guy on the road and i stopped when into a parking lot when the guy was, got out asked if he was ok he i offered to call 911 and he angrily said for me too leave him alone, some other guys form the business we where in front of call the police. I waited the police came the ambulance took care of the cylist, i was crying and really shaken by the whole thing NO ONE asked if i was ok, i was treated like a criminal finally everyting was taken care the only person who showed any concern was an employee of the business......
4/14/2012 8:55:30 AM
countrychick says:
... continuation of my story.... i was fined in the end over 350 dollers and at the time i was a single mom working a mininum wage job and i could never afford anything like that i did go to a justice of the peice and got the fines reduced to about 100 dollers..my insurance just about went up about doubled for a long time .. then a few months later i was a at work and was served these papers sueing me for this accident.. i was accused of being drunk and on drugs and anything else they could make up... thankfullly the insurance fought it on my behalf ... long story short i still feel to this day i was royally screwed over i still question to this day if i really hit that cylist or he ran into me coming from a side street..... but they were sure quick to blame the driver and never question the cylist.. but life goes on and i don't like cylist anywhere near roads!
4/14/2012 9:03:53 AM
varga says:
This is really not that big of an issue folks. The reason we need bike lanes is because the majority of drivers and cyclists alike do not know the rules of the road. If we lived in a world where everybody actually knew what the rules were and abidded by them we no longer need to cater to the lowest common denominator. People that are so worked about this have bigger issues then can be helped on the internet and to further that I would like to point out that NONE of the people saying the most outlandish things on here use their real names. "I want to say something totally ridiculous but I don't want you to know who I am because I know I am wrong." Nice tactic... In the end, bike lanes = not a big deal AT ALL. If you can't drive down a road with a bike lane then you should not be driving period.
4/14/2012 11:12:26 AM