CFNOWin great stuff Weekday mornings during the Al Cresswell Morning Show with Your Hometown Sound...CFNOClick Here
Thunder Bay’s Conservatory will remain closed at least until city council has a chance to examine a report on the facility in early June.
In a release issued Friday from City Hall, officials said the report, being engineered by the city’s facilities and fleets division will outline “further action plans for the Conservatory.”
The building, opened in 1967 as part of Canada’s centennial celebrations, was temporarily closed on Feb. 14 after pieces of glass fell from the ceiling. Access had already been restricted in a portion of the Conservatory earlier in the month for the exact same reason.
The facility is expected to be subject to the core business review process, which council will use to then decided whether to fix an maintain the Conservatory or shutter it for good.
The Conservatory loses more than $600,000 annually, money for which taxpayers foot the bill.
A phone call to facilities and fleets manager Michael Smith was not immediately returned on Friday.
The Conservatory was scheduled to re-open this weekend.
City officials also said in the release they are looking to increase Thunder Bay’s share of the Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program by $9.5 million a year by 2014.
Click here to submit a letter to the editor.