Sign. Minute Muffler

Marlin Travel

Skyscraper  -LU - PowWow

Big Box

Are you confident pledges of improved maintenance from the government will lead to safer winter road conditions here in the north?

2012-04-16 at 13:42

Ice and snow day: Winter arrives for encore in April

By Jodi Lundmark, tbnewswatch.com
NO FEE! NO FUSS!Finally... Prepaid credit cards with NO transaction fees! Find it at Xtra Cash!Click here for full list of services

With the streets too icy to maneuver, all school buses were cancelled Monday in the city, a move that isn’t uncommon for this time of year.

“The problem you run into in the spring is zero degree temperatures,” said David Carroll, consortium manager for Student Transportation Services of Thunder Bay.

“When you put zero degrees and precipitation in the same forecast, you’re asking for trouble,” he said.

All buses in the city were cancelled Monday and all the rural schools were closed.

Carroll said all bus routes have been cancelled twice this year and just one instance where only the rural routes were cancelled.

Comments

jimmyboy says:
I wonder how many fender benders we racked up today in the city.???
4/16/2012 2:59:57 PM
nucksfan89 says:
That's why I loved going to Gorham and Ware... snow days all the time!! Ha ha ha
4/16/2012 3:15:50 PM
unknowncronic says:
Am glad I kept the studded tires on forsure!

The tire guy told me to keep them on a bit longer...what great advice,
TY FOUNTAIN TIRE!!
4/16/2012 3:54:08 PM
rootbear says:
Yup I called it. Last year it was many centimeters more. Told everyone to put the rakes away and hang on to those snow brushes. Sorry but it was quite enjoyable watching from the deep south in 32 degree weather! I ain't coming back until it's all over.
4/16/2012 6:54:41 PM
mr. realist says:
interesting...probably the only occupation in the world where the place is deemed unsafe for the customer (in this case-the student) but not for the employee!

Darn those over-paid, lazy, useless teachers!!!

where are all you complainers now?
4/16/2012 8:07:29 PM
Sui Generis says:
You seriously are not making any sense at all.

1. What does any of this have to do with the teachers?

2. The roads were deemed unsafe for school buses, possibly saving the lives of children AND drivers. Again, nothing to do with the teachers.

3. Other students AND teachers that could get there safely were in school.
4/16/2012 10:30:25 PM
humnchuck says:
Please adjust your sarcasm meter...
4/17/2012 11:06:22 AM
mr. realist says:
urban school buses were cancelled...which means kids had the day off...i live next door to one of my students...guess what-i still had to be at school...a co-worker lives by pass lake...guess what-she still had to be at work...you get my point now?

"possibly saving the lives of children AND drivers" but we were still expected to be there...

i'm curious to see your response
4/17/2012 8:02:54 PM
sabridge says:
Lazy, useless teachers?! You have got to be kidding me! Teachers put in more than enough time to get paid what they get paid. Teachers have to make their own lessons which despite popular belief takes a ton of time! I'm a student at LU taking education and ALL of my time goes into making lesson plans! I know teachers who have spent months making lesson plans. I have a friend whos teaching up North in September and shes started making lesson plans now! In April! Shes not getting paid but shes preparing herself for when shes up there!

Also dealing with kids is no walk in the park.If that was the case then there would be a lot more home schooling. If you really do think being a teacher is so easy and slack than I encourage you to have kids of your own and home school them!
4/17/2012 12:31:43 PM