Skyscraper - Grodon's

Sign -Driving Miss Daisy

Marlin Travel

Sign - Preferred Fleet

Sky-Lkd Reg Cons Auth

Big Box / Belluz Farms

Should the City of Thunder Bay consider term limits for municipal politicians?

2012-04-24 at 11:26

Police warn of computer virus scam

By tbnewswatch.com
ENERGY 103 104Enter your Birthday Greeting here and Win a DQ frozen Birthday cake from Dairy Queen! Only on Your Station for 80’s 90’s and Now Energy 103 104 Click Here!

Thunder Bay police have issued a warning about a computer virus scam.

About six complaints have come in with the help of the online reporting program about possible computer virus scams in the city. Police say someone from Microsoft or another software company calls to ask if the person’s computer is running slowly. The caller will say they can fix the problem remotely and ask for credit card information to cover the fee.

Police say the fee ranges from $35 to $470.

Once the caller has access to the computer, the perpetrator can access all personal information stored on the hard drive. Police say allowing a third party to download software or remotely accessing the computer carries serious risks.

But not all virus scams happen over the phone.

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Center also reported scams by responding to Internet pop up ads.

Police want to remind the public to protect themselves by installing anti-virus software and keeping it up to date.

Police warned that if anyone calls out of the blue and offers help to just hang up and contact the company yourself.

Visit the Canadian Anti-Fraud Center's website for the latest on emerging fraud trends, advice on protecting yourself and victim's guides that will help you recover from fraud loss.

Banner/Vector Construction

Comments

localdog says:
Just an fyi, virus protection software does very little if anything to protect you from scams via pop-up ads or email phishing. No amount of software can prevent people from voluntarily clicking a link and entering a credit card or other personal information. Common sense is the most effective way to avoid getting scammed. When in doubt, just don't do it.
4/24/2012 1:29:27 PM
idontknowitall says:
We received one of these calls last week. Let's just say I'm glad there weren't any kids in the room to hear my response when I realized what was going on (took all of 5 seconds to understand). They haven't called back though... :)
4/24/2012 1:53:01 PM
woofwoof says:
I received one of these calls yesterday..good thing I hung up and gave them no info.
4/24/2012 2:19:01 PM
trent says:
The easiest way to get rid of them is to say "I don't even use a Windows computer - I run Linux". They'll just hang up.
4/24/2012 2:26:52 PM
stuck? says:
Not completely true.

I had one person argue with me for 30 minutes as to why they were receiving notices about PC problems when I run linux. The caller did become frustrated but was persistent to get any information is could.

That 30 minutes he spent with me bs'ing him is 30 minutes NOT spent trying to harass other potential victims.
4/25/2012 11:04:29 AM
tom0066 says:
Got that call today...I told them i didn't understand how that could be since i don't own a computer, stupid guy didn't know what to say...um um, click, he hung up...LOL
4/24/2012 2:27:51 PM
panzerIV says:
No company asks for credit card information without going through tons of steps first. Parents taught us street education and apparently its time we return the favor with some computer skills.
4/24/2012 2:40:58 PM
Lally says:
I had 3 of these calls several weeks ago, 2 within hours of each other. "Mike" from "Microsoft" (call center in India) was bluntly told he was a liar and scammer. Don't know if it helped, but they did stop calling.
4/24/2012 3:20:03 PM
Delbert Grady says:
Maybe its city hall trying to scam its way back to the black?
4/24/2012 3:59:33 PM
sitwg98 says:
Ahh yes, I have received these phones calls numerous times.
I had a little fun on one phone call and pretended I had no idea what a computer was, or what Windows was. I went on to accuse the caller of being a perverted peeping tom looking in my windows. I pretended to cry and yell at them and hung up. I was shocked when they called back and laughed at me and continued on with trying to explain microsoft and windows, and again, I pretended to cry and hung up on them. They called back again and my husband yelled at them for making his wife feel stupid. These fraudsters laughed, yet were still set on getting through their phone call to get what they wanted.
4/24/2012 4:08:33 PM
unknowncronic says:
hahah...
---->just say:

"My commodore 64 & its working fine, just fine"

4/24/2012 5:35:06 PM
unionbay880 says:
I'm more of a Vic 20 guy.
4/25/2012 1:39:56 PM
Gord says:
my wife got this called - told him it wasn't a good time to talk and asked for a phone number to call them back. he said they dont do that - she said, fine if you dont do that, i cant talk to you. Love it!
4/24/2012 8:31:28 PM
credwards says:
They have called me at least 6 times over the last month and originally I told them that they were mistaken because I use a different operating system. After the 3rd phone call I became upset and told them that this was a scam since I don't even have a "PC". After telling them to *#$&-off, they would start saying their script over again by telling me that there was a problem with Microsoft Windows. I guess they feel that if they keep repeating the same script over and over I will suddenly be using Microsoft!
4/25/2012 8:05:19 AM
get_the_chip_off_your_shoulder says:
I've had 5 calls from these bozos so far. I work in computers so the second they said: We are calling as we are representing microsoft and noticed abnormal activity on your computer. So i chuckled then though let's have fun. I pretended to be stupid and ask if if a right click means not a wrong click? or if the right click is on the keyboard keys? lol Then i got personal and asked very upsetting questions. He got very mad then said he wants me to speak to his Supervisor. I asked the fake supervisor if he was smart. He said "what"? I said are you smart? He goes why you ask? I said well you have wasted 38 minutes of your time while i watched tv. And I know how idiotic you both are cause I would never fall for such a poorly thought out scam. THen he hung up on me. He called back in 30seconds and started saying canadians and americans are all trash and that their middle east country will rid of from the planet. I hung up on him twice more getting him call back calling me names n insults.
4/25/2012 3:04:11 PM
tbayguy009 says:
Bill Gates pushed Microsoft to what it is today. He didn't even create the first DOS.

One of his current pet projects is supporting Monsanto and Genetically Modified Oraginic (GMO) foods. Round up ready crops grow in poisoned soils because they have been implanted with the genetic code to bypass the poison. But humans don't have that code built in, so they plant seeds into soils which poison themselves and the local ground water directly.

Then there is his promotion of vaccines. As the global population heads towards 9 billion, Gates said, “If we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services (abortion), we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 per cent.”

Point is ... Bill Gates and Windows ARE a virus. They have just been allowed to spread too far.

Government systems ran on that software too. (good grief)

Been a linux user for years.

An industry based on a constant suppy of 'suckers'? I think so.

What is your CC # AND your root password?
4/25/2012 3:48:51 PM
cc says:
Nice to see some open source users in the bay :)

4/25/2012 5:30:55 PM
She says:
I received this phone call months ago.Told them I didn't have a computer or a cell phone. geeze....some people believe everything.
4/25/2012 5:37:52 PM
RBosch says:
I saw this one on another thread today: Q:what kind of windows do you have? A:I think they are Llowen. Q: Can i have your credit info? A: Radio Shack member card number. I have received 3 phone calls in the last couple of days and it is amazing how upset they get when you jerk them around. My wife, on the other hand just hangs up as soon as they start asking computer info.
4/25/2012 6:21:23 PM
rootbear says:
I don't have a computer...........
4/25/2012 7:31:52 PM
keiths31 says:
Um...yeah...me either
4/26/2012 12:51:56 PM
yer joking says:
The first thing I'm going to do after I pay off my computers is get a phone!
4/26/2012 2:35:08 PM
wayne says:
What a joke! this scam has been around for more than a few years and the thunder bay police services are just now getting into the digital / internet age. p.s. if someone calls on behalf of your son/daughter, grandson/daughter asking for bail money, go down to western union to send them money...lol
4/26/2012 8:29:30 PM
countrychick says:
That is why i have call display i never answer 1-800 etc... numbers at all!!
4/26/2012 11:56:37 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
I got a call. Talked for 20 minutes. Guy got upset with my "stupidity", then he hung up. Haw.
4/28/2012 12:33:01 PM