Sign. Minute Muffler

Big Box

Polls are not available.
Polls are not available.
2012-04-30 at 11:50

Bike lane rules begin Tuesday

By tbnewswatch.com
Streak of Green – Hair SalonHey Stylists! It’s time to go green! Looking for a F/T stylist to join our team in a very busy organic, eco friendly full service salonwww.streakofgreen.com

City police are reminding motorists that if they are caught moving into bike lanes, they’ll be tagged with a $125 fine.

The rules surrounding roads with bike lanes take effect Tuesday in Thunder Bay. Traffic Sgt. Glenn Porter of the Thunder Bay Police Service says there are a number of things motorists need to keep in mind.

“Of course you can’t drive in a designated bike lane,” he said during an interview with CKPR Radio.  “You can’t park, and you can’t stop in those lanes. Generally speaking the fines are about $125.”

Sgt. Porter added that there is one goal for the lanes.

“These bike lanes are designed to provide a safe passage for cyclists, who are of course the most vulnerable vehicles on the roadway.”

(CKPR Radio)

Banner/Vector Construction

Comments

hockeyskates says:
I haven't moved my bike an inch since this hit the fan. Too bad really. Only
18 WEEKS UNTIL LABOUR DAY !
4/30/2012 11:54:38 AM
tom0066 says:
These bike lanes are getting more ridiculous as we go. If the city had done them properly there wouldn't be an issue. Our tax dollars hard at work again. Fines for cars that are in the lanes, then maybe fines for bikes that are in the car lanes. Lots of bikes hold up traffic, don't obey the rules of the road, solution...give them their own lane....Come on now!!
4/30/2012 12:06:19 PM
nucksfan89 says:
Out of pure curiosity, what are you supposed to do when you are turning right onto a side street when there is a bike lane?? For instance I drive down Victoria ave, and turn right onto Ford St.. but that means I am cutting off the bike lane? Am I wrong in doing this or is it purely just driving in the bike lane and parking in it??
4/30/2012 12:15:55 PM
Young Professional says:
I didn't see any fresh paint on the roads today. Kind of hard to give someone a fine for driving in a lane that isn't clearly visible.
4/30/2012 12:48:12 PM
wayne says:
of course city transit buses will be exempt, along with drivers who have to move across bike lanes to get to their parking spots. oh, and drivers who have to pull over and stop in the bike lanes to allow emergency vehicles the right of way.
4/30/2012 1:02:09 PM
zachm1 says:
Confusion here. Did not our city counsel vote to scrap the bike lanes? Did they not say that it was now against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk. Something like a $200.00 fine as stated by the TB Police. Seems like the city wants it both ways. Lets nail motorists for bike lanes that are now defunct, and lets fine the bike riders too. Hmmm!!!!
4/30/2012 1:03:09 PM
cariboukid says:
Perhaps the city should stay on top of painting these bike lanes so we can actually see them.
Go ahead and just try to fine me for driving in the lanes when no one can see the darn things!
4/30/2012 1:16:08 PM
nvjgu says:
So tell me what happins when a bike lain no longer has lines that are visiable.
4/30/2012 1:37:42 PM
vimeo says:
They give you a dictionary.
5/1/2012 11:14:36 AM
Arch Stanton says:
Seems more like a revenue-raising exercise to me.

If you want to improve cyclist safety, cordon them off with a concrete kerb or (if you really want to do it properly like Holland) move to dedicated cycle lanes next to the sidewalk.
4/30/2012 2:09:09 PM
The Wolf says:
So an enforcement blitz is upon us as City Hall is in the process of possibly eliminating the paths because they admitted they are done up wrong? Is this seriously happening?
4/30/2012 2:35:36 PM
countrychick says:
If they are inforcing the rules for drivers they better do the same with the cyclist as well!!
4/30/2012 3:00:08 PM
blackheart says:
what about the buses on walsh street that drive in the bus lanes will they be fined? There are alot of spots in the bike lanes that the paint has faded what happen if you stop and there is nothing showing your in a bike lane?
4/30/2012 4:22:32 PM
deluxecustom says:
With all the crime in Thunder Bay, the last thing the keystone cops need is something else to police. What is the fine for operating a bicycle outside the lines? Give me a break..You cant even see the bloody lines. Good luck..
4/30/2012 5:20:56 PM
tbayguy1985 says:
So what happens to the bikers, using these lanes who refuse to abid by the rules of the road? I very rarely see bikers use hand signals, stop at stop signs, etc.

If the motorists have to follow the rules of the road, shouldn't the bikers need to as well?

4/30/2012 7:31:33 PM
Big Head says:
Lets hope the cops will be giving out tickets to these morons that ride their bikes in the bike lane on the wrong side of the road, or cut over to a cross walk and ride across in the cross walk, or just cut across traffic, or ride their bike on the sidewalk, or don't signal their turn...should I continue? When was the last time you saw somebody on a bike stop at stop sign? Ya never! I hope the cops are giving out tickets to them.
4/30/2012 8:28:07 PM
wayne says:
"Generally speaking the fines are about $125.”

about $125? what accounts for a variance in the fines? Sgt. Porter, good luck with handing out fines to motorists. Hope you and the keystone cops are looking on the sidewalks for cyclist infractions.
4/30/2012 10:19:46 PM
DazeofThunder says:
I did a bike tour of the city yesterday and I have this to report. The bike lanes are not maintained well enough to enforce laws that you are proposing at this time. Most bike lanes are not visible and I had no idea whether I was in the bike lane or not at times. Secondly, I tried to get over to the Mall/Future Shop area safely. It can't be done in its current state. I would never allow cyclists on Memorial avenue, period. That's just craziness. The better approach would be to build a recreation trail on the far side of Fort William road all the way up to the end of Hodder. It is going to be needed anyways with all the waterfront development. Then I would shut down Memorial completely to bike traffic
5/1/2012 8:03:19 AM
anotarba says:
My only question is what happens if someone is biking with their kids in the back? I mean with one of those carriages that attach to the bikes, do they need to be on the road as well... I just don't trust drivers enough to ride my bike on the street with my kids in the back... I guess the city will not learn till something bad happens... I would sue the city for negligence.
5/1/2012 8:17:59 AM
rfjt says:
If the bike lanes are confusing to anyone in any way shape or form, except for the reason behind last year's ridiculous show on Fassina, then I want you to follow these simple instructions:
1. Cut your driver's license in half
2. Sell your car because you're a danger to all of us
3. Never sit behind the wheel of a vehicle again until you HAVE READ THE DRIVER'S HANDBOOK LIKE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO AT 16.
5/1/2012 9:06:17 AM