Skyscraper-newswatch (except CFNO)

Signature/Redhead & Chef

Signature - McCullough

Skyscraper/Ontario Nature

B-Box - HAGI

A private buyer has purchased the old Lyceum Theatre. Are you pleased the historic structure will be preserved?

2012-05-14 at 21:44

Hunt is on: Council votes in favour of deer-hunting bylaw

By Jeff Labine, tbnewswatch.com
FASD FactsDrinking Alcohol at any time during pregnancy could affect the normal development of the baby.www.mushkiki.com

Thunder Bay council has given residents the go ahead to hunt deer in certain areas of the city.

The bylaw to allow deer hunting with bow and arrows in certain areas of the city passed nine-to-two at council Monday night. Only Couns. Joe Virdiramo and Andrew Foulds voted against the bylaw. Council put the bylaw in place as a way to manage the increasing deer population and prevent collisions with motorists.

In order to hunt within city limits, hunters must have written permission from the property owner, must be in a stand at least three metres high and must be further than 75 metres from a home or road. Hunting can take place on private lands within city limits south of Kaministiquia and west of the Thunder Bay Expressway with certain limitations.

Foulds said while it’s important to have a plan, he thought the bylaw wasn’t adequate in accomplishing this goal. He said there was no way of knowing how many deer were in the city and if hunting would be the solution to control their population.

“I’m just not sure when we got into the wildlife management business,” Foulds said. “This bylaw really is about wildlife management. I don’t think this is good policy. I don’t think this is good policy because there’s no measurable. Even when we received the report, the measurable and the data presented to us were fuzzy at best. We don’t know the scope of the problem.”

He said many have argued that something is better than nothing but Foulds pointed out that the hunting in Duluth hasn’t helped their deer problem.

Neebing Coun. Linda Rydholm disagreed with Foulds and said Duluth has actually expanded the areas where hunting is allowed.

She said she knows two people who have lost their car insurance because of incidents with wildlife and over time, data will be systematically collected by the OPP and city police to find out how many deer have been involved in collisions.

She said she hoped this solution would work and the city wouldn’t have to resort to a cull.

At-large Coun. Aldo Ruberto said most of the areas where hunters would be allowed to bow hunt was outside of residential areas anyway with most located in rural areas.

“I think there will be very few people taking advantage of this opportunity,” Ruberto said. “We’ll have the option to review the options and amend this bylaw and make changes if it isn’t successful or something goes wrong.”

The bylaw will become in effect this September following the opening of the hunting season.

Banner/Vector Construction

Comments

kennyc says:
This is great news. I almost hit one on the Harbour Expressway last evening. You cant even really see them in the evening dusk. Very dangerous!!! Great job to city council!!
5/14/2012 9:50:08 PM
serena says:
Well those deer will always be there and I doubt bow hunting will be allowed along the Harbour Exp.
5/15/2012 8:00:30 AM
yer joking says:
I seen a cyclist on Memorial Ave sidewalk yesterday! Should we cull them as well? Nothing like a nice yellow jersy hanging form the sixty-seven point rack on the wall. WOOHOO
5/15/2012 9:07:33 AM
Counterpunch says:
Bleeding to death is an awful way to die. Unfortunately, that is how bow hunting takes down the animal.

5/15/2012 11:03:01 AM
DougMyers says:
Another ignorant comment.

If you do not know, you should not speak. Animals hunted by bow do not "bleed to death."
5/15/2012 12:58:00 PM
Tiredofit says:
Ummmm care to explain how they do? No every shot is dead on and it's illegal to shot them again when their down I thought (I could be wrong on that one)
5/15/2012 3:19:41 PM
Counterpunch says:
Doug. And how is it that the animal with a pointed object through its lungs dies. Please tell.
5/15/2012 4:02:22 PM
DougMyers says:
Let's clear this up then, you make it sound as though they lie there or run around bleeding until they die.

With a well placed shot, which most archers can do with ease (the traget area is big), death is nearly instant. An arrow is more deadly than a bullet from a gun.

Without going into grusome detail on this site, it is quick.

Not every shot is dead on, but that is the same for hunting with a long gun.

Finally to answer tireofit, just to prove the ignorance of those that do not hunt, it is not illegal to shot an animal once it is down. In fact it is favourable to not let the animal suffer if the first shot (long gun or bow) is not fatal.

Does it technically bleed to death? Yes, but internally and usually instant or extremely quickly. An arrow will take down an animal faster than a bullet.

5/16/2012 8:26:09 AM
DougMyers says:
. . . and is no different than death from a long gun and is far better than the death cattle suffer before we have them on our plate.
5/16/2012 8:37:20 AM
hockeyskates says:
Hey Doug: I didn't know that what is the cause of death when an arrow is used to kill ?
5/15/2012 4:07:12 PM
Tom Sanderson says:
What a laughable comment that one is. That is the second lie I heard today. If I run a spear through your gut you are telling me you won't die. Wake up, if your on drugs, get off them, do some research before you make YOUR ignorant comment.
5/15/2012 5:48:30 PM
eastender says:
Getting hit and injured by a car or truck is even a worse way to die. Dear are killed and die every day inmuch more horrible ways than by bleeding to death. It may sound terrible, but consider what wolves do to deer when they tear them to peices while they are still alive. I think I'd rather see tham bleed to death, its most likely much less painfull and the deer dont even know its happening, they just weaken and die peacefully
5/15/2012 11:11:02 PM
Dbenedic says:
Has it really gotten that bad that we have to send out all the RobinHoods to slaughter our deers? I still do a lot of rubber-necking to try and spot one just for the shear enjoyment of watching some nature. Sorry, this lad is dead set against the sanctioned slaughter of our deer. Too bad the Robin Hoods of Thunder Bay can't find their entertainment elsewhere other than fun and games killing off our deer.
5/14/2012 10:10:29 PM
SG says:
Deers?

Maybe the problem isn't the deer it's people like you rubbernecking. Here's hoping you're not in the driver's seat at the same time my dear Sheriff of Nottingham.
5/15/2012 11:26:02 AM
tbay99 says:
Down goes Bambi!!
5/14/2012 10:11:08 PM
bman says:
its great that they have passed this bylaw, but why not tell us were the areas are that we can hunt?
5/14/2012 10:19:24 PM
brooky says:
What a redicoulous proposal this is. So, we are saying to the local hunters, have at 'er boys. I'm a hunter as well, but there's not one ethical hunter that I know of that would shoot a Deer that would walk up to you and eat out of your hand.
5/14/2012 10:20:21 PM
Swirly-Q says:
You unintentionally identified the very problem that led to this bylaw... the fact that deer "would walk up to you and eat from your hand" IS the problem! And the people feeding the deer from their hand are to blame.

I wonder how many people that complain about this bylaw also complain against the "no feeding deer" bylaw? And they probably also fail to see the irony.
5/15/2012 8:54:12 AM
Delbert Grady says:
Now, if we can get all those deer feeding, law-breaking people to start feeding them barbeque sauce, come harvest time they'll taste even better!

So which members werent in town for this meeting anyway? Dont they have an obligation to the citizens of this city to be there and vote in a manner that represents their constituents?
5/14/2012 10:22:02 PM
brooky says:
Members of what? PETA? Boy Scouts of America? Be a little more specific and don't keep us guessing next time Dilbert.
5/14/2012 10:53:20 PM
Delbert Grady says:
members of council which approved this.

Did you already forget what the story was about?

as a side note, if I keep you guessing too frequently, thats because unless I use innuendo you wont ever get to read my thoughts on this site.
5/15/2012 2:49:17 PM
localdog says:
This town has taken a sickening turn for the worse with this decision. Killing more animals is the best solution these clowns could come up with? I hike year round on city and crown lands around this area, now I'm going to have to worry as I round every corner that some nutjob might be shooting an arrow in my direction? I know of some pretty careless idiots that shouldn't be allowed to own an elastic band and paperclips let alone a bow and arrow. Who wants to take bets on how long it will be before the first innocent bystander gets shot? And don't think it won't happen. This past winter some jackass posted "no trespassing" signs all over a block of city property just inside the limit so he/she could set up leg traps for wolves and whatnot. Guess who found them? Myself, my dogs, and several others that hike in the area. Some hunters have absolutely no respect for life, human or animal, and don't care about the consequences of hurting someone.
5/14/2012 10:36:00 PM
passlake says:
I hope you contacted police about those traps.

Some hunters are as****es, but not all of us are. Some of us harvest a few animals each year humanely and utilize as much of the animal as we can to feed our families.
5/15/2012 9:02:42 AM
localdog says:
I understand that, and I respect that. I do not hunt but I have friends that are hunters and I have spoken to them in depth about hunting. I couldn't do it, but I understand why some do. The ethical hunters I am not worried about, its the ones that are just out there just for the thrill.

I did contact the police and the MNR who took my info and told me I'd have to prove to them it was city property (its an uncleared piece of land with no set address). I guess the MNR doesn't have access to the land registry computers?
5/15/2012 10:59:37 AM
passlake says:
glad to hear.
5/15/2012 12:17:02 PM
eddylives says:
Yes this is a good thing.
These deer do not belong in town.
And as for a slaughter.....think about the number of animals that are slaughtered to keep our grocery stores stocked up you hypocrites that are against this!
Get over it....man eats meat.
"YOU DON'T MAKE FRIENDS WITH SALAD" LMAO
5/14/2012 10:39:56 PM
localdog says:
Says a lot about human character when they try to justify the senseless killing of one animal by comparing it to the inhumane killing of others. Who are you to say where deer "belong"? I'm sure many would enjoy the serenity of a habitat filled with deer over that of one filled with, well... whatever it is people like you prefer to be called.
5/15/2012 12:07:11 AM
random says:
Well guess what then...you don't belong out there in the bush, hiking around. You have no business being there, as you are not from here originally. You upset the balance. You frighten the wildlife. How do you like having your sad argument flipped back against you?
YOU can thank humans for the abundance of deer around here. I have posted this before, i'll do it again: Whitetail population in N.America at turn of the century est 500,000, now around 26 million+. Thats due to us humans clearing land, planting crops that deer feed off of, and you as well.
Hypocrits are the worst. All touchy feeling about what they think is right. There are hunters who make all hunters look bad, and there are non hunters who make all non hunters look bad...i'd lump you into the second catagory, whatever it is "you" people like to be called.
5/15/2012 1:17:56 PM
localdog says:
If you knew how little I care about what category you'd lump me in to, you wouldn't have wasted the twenty minutes it took you to come up with that nonsense. I'm not here to please you or anyone else, just speaking my mind.

You failed to make a point, and your comment, while entertaining, makes no sense. I haven't cleared any land or planted any crops. Human kind has, sure, but I respect nature, I don't destroy it. So please, go back to the drawing board and come up with a plausible argument.
5/15/2012 3:20:50 PM
Random says:
No, I made my point. Too bad you didn't get it.
I have no doubt you respect nature. You eat your granola, sit by a tree, ohh and ahh the serenity, then go home in your car or truck, and eat your steak, or eggs, or veggies, all produced by man, ignoring the fact massive land was cleared to feed you, chemicals up the ying yang to feed you, beef, or poultry, or eggs whatever, mass prodeced and force fed to feed you, and you eliminate all guilt by nature walking. AND then knocking someone for wanting to hunt an over populated animal, lumping them into some despicable catagory with your "whatever it is you people like to be called" comment. You are a hypocrit, don't deny it. You have proved it. I bet you even drive a gas guzzling SUV with a bike rack. And if you didn't care, you wouldn't have replied.
5/16/2012 12:09:53 AM
serena says:
These deer don't belong in town? What is your definition of "town." They were here long before we were. So you are for this? I highly doubt you will be out with a bow and arrow. Most won't know what the rules are and won't bother. Those with property will probably just take advantage of the deer that wander onto their yards.
5/15/2012 8:06:09 AM
Lally says:
I find it fascinating that every time the talk of trying to control the wild animal population comes up, people wail and moan that the animals were here first. Yet whenever there is a story about First Nations people, the comments run to the negative and people rarely say "the First Nations people were here first". I guess it's easier to love Bambi than to try to get along with human beings.
5/15/2012 11:16:54 AM
halfnut says:
i guess i go buy no trespasing signs tomorrow nobody is using my yard for their fun leave the deer alone.
5/14/2012 10:57:59 PM
thayer says:
Whether it will help the deer problem or not, anyone else concerned that people will be walking around the city with bow and arrows?
5/14/2012 11:08:33 PM
RicknB says:
Did you read the story before you made your ignorant comment?

The real sad thing is that, so far 25 people agree!

5/15/2012 10:11:35 AM
northerngardener says:
It would also be nice to know what is going to happen to all the meat that is harvested (assuming these deer are not just being shot for the heck of it). There are a lot of people and families out there that could make really good use of some extra protein in their freezers.
5/14/2012 11:11:26 PM
serena says:
Well that is a fear that deer will just be shot for the heck of it. How will you feel if you see a deer walking around with an arrow in it? And deer running from hunters will no doubt run onto the roads. Deer in agony with injury will also run onto roads in panic. This bylaw is ridiculous.
5/15/2012 8:09:49 AM
tbayguy009 says:
I can only assume you are a little confused.

Hunters WILL put the meat in their own freezers. Maybe they will pass some along to family and friends.

But I can guarantee that ANY meat will have a destination before any shot is taken.

Unless your statement was just meant to feed the misguided social portrayal of hunters as just having a blood lust, nothing more, nothing less.

If you want deer meat, buy a bow, get a licence, learn some skills, and then be prepared to do some work to put deer meat into your freezer.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Or are you just hoping for a free meal?

At the very least, if there are others who would like to aquire meat, they can help the hunters directly in some way. There are some very nice and friendly people out there. And why should people feel sooo afraid of them? Prejudice? Absolutely!

Maybe a few thousand pounds less meat through the grocery stores. Maybe there is the group instilling hatred for hunters.
5/15/2012 2:49:53 PM
Circular_Logic says:
Tbyguy; 'maybe there is a group...etc'
Conspiracy theorists UNITE! Always remember; just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you! [wink]
5/17/2012 4:14:16 AM
Bewilderedbeyondbelief says:
How about we let the hunters shoot all the city drivers who hit these poor animals that can't drive? Then we solve another problem.
5/14/2012 11:38:20 PM
sky high says:
Funny how the same people who swat flies and kill mice get all upset because some cute deer are going to be killed for ruining people's property and potentially causing death or severe injury due to traffic accidents. These are selfish people and not very bright
5/15/2012 7:28:21 AM
localdog says:
You've proven you're not very bright with that idiotic comment. "Potentially causing death" - you mean the way cigarettes potentially cause death, or driving, walking down the street, eating too much fast food or a plane falling from the sky can potentially cause death? By your example we should eliminate everything that can potentially cause death so guess what folks - no more using a knife to cut your dinner because skyhigh says it can potentially cause death.

By "ruining", you mean picking food from their gardens or eating the hedges? Wow, that certainly deserves the death penalty, doesn't it? You and like-minded people are THE definition of selfish. Hope the lighbulb is bright enough for you to understand this.
5/15/2012 10:31:33 AM
spoiled says:
The way I read this article is that there was not much thought put into this decision.'We can amend the bylaW if something goes wrong"?
So after a person or someones dog becomes a dart board ??? Than you will amend the law?
So this leaves a huge opportunity to say oops and off your worst enemy?
I really... really can not believe that more thought and debate and planning was not done ?
COUNSEL! ...you need to retire!
5/15/2012 8:04:58 AM
millie brendza says:
sqirrels,dogs,cats,birds.etc. are a nuisance?Are we going to hunt them all?Why does council not come up with a plan to save some of the deer.'s natural habitat instead?Maybe they should all move to the concrete cities and forget about how lucky we are to have the beauty of nature around us.wHEN you drive slow down.don't feed in the city,make Mission isl. a santuary.Killing any animal is not the answer.
5/15/2012 8:26:30 AM
Marshall says:
Maybe Ted Nugent & Alice Cooper could partner up & buy Municipal Golf Course. Stock it full of deer & turn it into a multi-purpose facility. Golf Course/Bow hunting sanctuary! You could shoot a game of golf & also just shoot some game. A hole in one could have a whole new double meaning.
5/15/2012 8:35:48 AM
olive garden says:
Well its about time !
5/15/2012 8:38:54 AM
Johnny says:
How can anyone shoot a deer?? how about we open a bow season on people...
5/15/2012 8:41:53 AM
vimeo says:
Dbenedic...Robin Hoods..Really?

There's plenty of room for nature's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
5/15/2012 9:22:04 AM
anonymous says:
Why are people are sooooo sensitive when it comes to deer??? They are WILDLIFE & NOT pets so stop feeding them! The biggest problem are the people that leave food out for them. They are wild - they are well equipped to make it on their own! They are SUPPOSED to be scared of humans!! These days, you pass by a deer & they look at you thinking, "hey, aren't you gonna feed me?"
I totally agree with this bylaw. I see so many injured deer either laying in the ditch suffering, or hobbling around with an inured leg. For all the people that are against this, what would you suggest? Nevermind, you're probably the ones that feed them & sit on your deck taking pictures of "bambi".
5/15/2012 9:36:17 AM
ThunderBayFullOfCrime says:
This is a bad idea......
5/15/2012 9:57:52 AM
yer joking says:
Thank God for cell phones and twitter! When you see a deer hunter tweet where he is and we will come and watch him get frustrated and leave his tree stand. Honking horns always encourage those hunting types or go upwind with an open beer and they will abandon the tree stand cuz it's Miller Time!
5/15/2012 10:18:05 AM
RicknB says:
You know, it's illegal to interfere with someone who is hunting.

Obstruction of hunting, trapping or fishing

13. (1) A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or fishing by,

(a) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for hunting, trapping or fishing;

(b) placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or

(c) engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbs or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

5/15/2012 11:00:03 AM
yer joking says:
Oh I didn't realize that. So never mind I'll just go for a stroll in the woods today and pick up litter that wa sleft by a hunter. Oh my I frightened that deer away - Sorry! Mr Hunter. Where ya goin' next ?
5/15/2012 2:19:27 PM
localdog says:
Unless you're on private property you'd be hard pressed to prove anyone was intentionally or "for the purpose of" interfering with someone who is hunting. If a hiker and a hunter are in the same area, hunting laws do not supersede general public land use laws. If anything, a hunter would face the more serious charges for endangering the public. In either case, enforcement is where the problem arises.
5/15/2012 4:01:15 PM
RicknB says:
"Hunting can take place on private lands within city limits"
5/15/2012 4:56:51 PM
Delbert Grady says:
Thank politicians for creating laws that hold people like you criminally responsible for illegally interfering with a legal and lawful hunt.
5/15/2012 11:09:15 AM
tbayguy009 says:
Well that is true. Cell phones and twitter could also be used to identify people like yourself who would challenge someone's right to legally hunt.

Wouldn't your face look 'cute' as your are being arrested for obstruction of ...

IF you think you have that unchallenged power of interferance, then maybe hunters should have monitors around their hunting boundary, with cell phones and note pads as well. (to phone police, take photographs for evindence, and write down licence plate numbers)

Why don't people like yourself just stay home and cook a steak (cow) on the 'barbie'.

This fanatical movement against hunters is getting old. The gun registry is dead. Get over it.
5/15/2012 2:17:00 PM
yer joking says:
Just be prepared to prove you have the legal right to hunt every time you go out to certain areas. LOL Cuz with my government job I have lots of time to watch and wait and enjoy those cute deer.
5/15/2012 5:03:19 PM
tbayguy009 says:
Any hunter expects to provide proof on request already. DAH! Do you have the legal authority to make such a request though? CO's identify themselves. Search and seizure requests can't be made by just any smuck off the street.

But, hey, thanks for admitting that there are opponent's to this who have so much time on their hands and nothing better to do. They even admit that they are a waste of taxpayers money. That is not surprising, though. After all this is Thunder Bay.

If someone is in a designated area for hunting, enjoy the view, but stay out of the way.

It would be nice if the police made some formal statement to stop the unfounded fanatical concerns about people walking around town with bows. (Schizophrenia is treatable with meditcation)

And finally ... why do people wonder why environmental groups are sometimes called something completely different and nasty. Terror
5/15/2012 10:20:39 PM
localdog says:
"Or how about a public service message on what will happen to people who interfere with this now legal hunt."

The same thing that happens to people that break any other law enforced by non-police agencies. Not much. But point your weapon at someone and then see what will happen.
5/16/2012 10:10:50 AM
yer joking says:
What is it that gives you the bigger thrill, putting on the cammo, walkig out to the truck and hearing the frosty leaves crunch under your feet then stopping for that morning coffee. Taking your spot in the stand your buddies around you and waiting for that pesky flower eating vicious deer to come walking down the trail. Then puling the string on your bow and arrow set and hoping you hit it in the right place like you did with those straw bales(practice). Then you got "BRAGGIN" rights all season long. Or may be picking up some kids after work and takig them out to the Island and showing them a little bit about the miracle of nature. Having a deer come over and eat an apple out of their hand or watch them munch on a carrot. Think about it!!
5/16/2012 1:48:05 PM
halfnut says:
not going to be free you will have to buy an anterless licence to hunt them 'just another ploy to get money
5/15/2012 10:39:06 AM
ohnoyoudidnt says:
Mmmmmm yummy town deer!
Going to D&R to buy my bow right now!!!
I second the thought about feeding them BBQ sauce LOL
Lighten up deer lovers. What do you think the first people of the area ate? Shuh Tzu? I think not. Next time you eat a fish Im going to chastise you, then remind you of what a hypocrite you are. There will still be deer around, there are sooooo mnay of them we cant wipe them out.
NOW whos coming over for deer roast?
5/15/2012 11:28:43 AM
waterunderthebridge says:
Will allowing people to have a control hunt inside city limits reduce the deer population? Probably only slightly. But people should remember that the only reason that there was no hunting allowed inside city limits was supposedly to protect humans from potentially getting shot. It was a little bit of overkill - pardon the pun. The goal was to protect people and property- not the deer ( or geese, or partridge or moose ) get it. A lot of cities have allowed a controlled goose hunt as their nuisance factor has reached the point that it is a health issue as well ( the same can be argued for deer). It seems to me that since we have an excess of deer and geese and a shortage at the food bank, wouldnt it be nice to be able to provide that facility donations of venison and goose meat. There are places that harvest the good meat from moose after collisions with vehicles and provide that to people to consume.
As far as anti hunters especially you localdog - hope you enjoy your Macdonalds.
5/15/2012 11:48:46 AM
localdog says:
I'm a vegetarian not only out of respect for animals but out of respect for life, period. I'm just thankful that hunters are of such a minority that combined with the regulations to be imposed along with this bylaw, the deer population in the city will for the most part remain unscathed.
5/16/2012 12:40:11 AM
DougMyers says:
Seems there are lots of high mighty people on here.

I wonder how many of those will be having a burger or steak this long weekend?

Unless you are a vegetarian, you are a hypocrite.
5/15/2012 12:03:41 PM
justsayin' says:
I don't think this bylaw ammendment will make a difference only because the overpopulation of deer isn't just here in Thunder Bay, it's all over NWO and into the States. The deer will continue to move into the city as long as there is a food source (gardens, fruit trees, people feeding them, etc.)
5/15/2012 12:15:44 PM
Papercut says:
To all the deer huggers here....they are cute, I agree. I often have them in our yard. They have brought Timber Wolves into our area as well...those are not very cute!

Any way, I think seeing how the deer are as thick as rats around here....it is a great idea to cull them....PERHAPS some of this meat can be donated to the local Salvation Army, Shelter House, etc....so that they may help the under priviledged in our area enjoy some high quality protein.
5/15/2012 1:27:45 PM
unknowncronic says:
TAKE THE DEER OFF THE ISLAND & GIVE THEM ATLEAST A FIGHTING CHANCE IF YOUR GONNA HUNT THEM!
HUNTING ON A SMALL ISLAND?...
NOT REALLY A HUNT IS IT?
5/15/2012 2:28:47 PM
RicknB says:
Another one!
Did you read the story?

Quote" Hunting can take place on private lands within city limits south of Kaministiquia and west of the Thunder Bay Expressway with certain limitations "Quote
5/15/2012 4:05:46 PM
serena says:
How can there be hunting in a conservation area....likely not going to happen on Mission Island. This points to the poor reporting in this article because no details on the parameters have been given.
5/15/2012 4:31:21 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
...I worry more about all the snagging and killing of spawning rainbows, and my "friends" out every weekend hammering my once-secret speck spot to death, and old buddy's parents filling the freezer with lake trout every summer...
5/15/2012 4:05:50 PM
bman says:
if you know of someone stocking up their freezer with fish and game and you dont like what they are doing, call the MNR and report them. It is against the law to have more then a days limit in you freezer and or fridge at any time. Stop talking about it and do something.
5/15/2012 4:41:54 PM
tsb says:
He won't do anything because like the controversies surrounding City Council's supposed "illegal" behaviour, he is full of crap.
5/15/2012 10:27:28 PM
Big Joe Mufferaw says:
Wrong hunt...should be bears.
5/15/2012 5:07:28 PM
rayzor says:
Deer are simple mammals. They inhabit areas that have a reliable food source and few predators. I think it's worth a try to reduce the food source (feeding deer) and introduce a predator (bow-hunters) to see if that will decrease the population, or at least push the deer into an area out of town. This could potentially reduce the deer vs. vehicle collisions and reduce unnecessary mutilation of deer carcasses that could be eaten. It's a waste of life, resources and meat.

Also, people need to stop making uneducated comments. As a bowhunter, I don't plan on walking down Arthur St. with an arrow nocked in my bow, firing at anything with 4 legs. We must hunt from a stand, so missed shots are buried within a 3 foot radius of our target. You should also know that an ethical bowhunter rarely shoots a deer outside of 50 yds, so are you telling me that a normal human being can't tell the difference between a buck and a german shepard from that distance? Please make educated comments.
5/15/2012 6:24:38 PM
wetotter says:
WOW, Lots of comments on this one for sure. It says that Hunter can hunt on Private lands, So whomever is concerned about gettin in "THE LINE OF FIRE" should be aware that private is private and yer tresspassing then, For the person who found legholds in the bush, Crown land is a trapping area and registerd to a trapper. If you have concerns about these traps contact the local MNR, they will be more then happy to let ya know if they are set in a area thats allowed.

As for the deer! Well its the people who feed and breed them who really need to look at them selves and chalk this one up to themselves. Food = LOADS of deer!!! Done. If there is food to keep them alive and breeding they will and if there are no predators to keep em in check they boom, Now the hunters will have to undo the work of the deer feeders.
5/15/2012 6:43:35 PM
localdog says:
The traps were found on city property within city limits, and others found on private property were not there with the land owners permission (which we do have). I did call the MNR, they seemed less than interested in looking in to the matter.

If you replace the word "deer" with "human" in your comment, does the argument still stand or is it only a justification to hunt animals? If humans are the source of the problem it would make more sense to eliminate the source rather than the results. Start thinning out the human population, stop hand-feeding them, stop letting them breed, and in time nature will balance itself out.

@ rayzor,

You said it... "ethical" bowhunters. As a hunter you are probably well aware there are many unethical hunters out there. The comments here alone, if made by your fellow hunting advocates, are enough to be cause for concern.
5/16/2012 9:53:13 AM
chezhank says:
Another smoke and mirror decision by council that will accomplish nothing more than allow hunting in city limits.
In unsportsmanlike fashion,council is allowing people to bait deer so they can be shot by a bow and arrow.
The baiting of deer may create a deer problem in areas where none existed.Areas where baiting and hunting are to be allowed should be posted so individuals can slow down to prevent a deer vehical collision.
Tbnewswatch.com

5/15/2012 7:54:31 PM
Tom Sanderson says:
Baiting deer for a cull is un-sportsman like? Baiting bear, for the spring bear hunt that use to be, was the most un-sportsman like hunting method I ever seen. The big brave hunter climbed 20 feet up into a tree(don't want to get eaten)sat there waiting for the mother bear who was fattening up on all that bait in the bucket. Then shoots the unsuspecting animal. The cubs die. Good hunt, you got 3 with one shot.That is not hunting.
They want to cull the deer, not hunt them. Oh, you will have to purchase something as the city owns the deer and can charge you to shoot one in city limits. Kill them off, they have eaten all our tulips and a few other plants that are starting to bloom and they trashed our bird feeder.
5/16/2012 9:09:40 AM
moonpie says:
When you kill-advocates refer to people as "deer huggers" do you mean the average, animal-loving non-killing public like your kids, neighbors, family members etc? Why the names? Are their instructions included with your hunting license, "How to condescend to people that don't kill things"? And the hypocrite game, really? If you claim to have even a shred of respect for animals but you hunt, then you're the biggest hypocrite of them all, my friends.
5/16/2012 8:58:12 AM
Big Joe Mufferaw says:
Has anyone got any stats on deer/vehicle collisions? These need to be correlated with location as well.

Then after the hunt, let's collect the same data and see if there's a difference.

It might be that there are just too many lousy drivers as opposed to too many deer. If the stats come out showing that, can we hunt lousy drivers? (This would of course be the responsibility of the police armed with a pad of tickets.)
5/16/2012 9:06:31 AM
spicyicy1 says:
All this is doing is pitting haters against non-haters....Has anyone actually heard from the police, as to how many accidents have been caused by the deer and how many have resulted from cell phones, excessive speeding and drunk drinving...I'm pretty sure the deer are not the problem.... I'd take a deer on the side of the road before an idiot texting anytime!!!
5/16/2012 11:02:50 PM