Signature - McCullough

Web Ad

Big Box - Easier Ways

Polls are not available.
Polls are not available.
2012-06-09 at 16:08

Items still being taken from flood victims homes: police

By tbnewswatch.com
CFNOWin great stuff Weekday mornings during the Al Cresswell Morning Show with Your Hometown Sound...CFNOClick Here

Police charged a 52-year-old for taking household items from flood victim’s homes.

Thunder Bay Police Service officers charged the man Friday afternoon after he allegedly took items left outside. Police say they are actively investigating many reports of people taking items left outside by homeowners. These items were taken without the owner’s consent.

Thunder Bay Police would like to remind everyone that any removal of property from any premise or curbside without permission can result in a charge of theft or possession of stolen property.

All residents should continue to contact police if they observe any unusual activity.

Comments

Tinker says:
Yesterday afternoon I noticed a someone driving a reddish car parked in front of my house and took a picture of my pile of waste and possessions. When I got closer to the window to shoo them off they drove away. I'm thinking people are taking pictures to see if there is anything valuable in the piles, so they can come back later that night and take whatever is there.
6/9/2012 5:19:02 PM
hopper says:
I saw the same thing while I was driving home, except it was a blonde ponytailed woman in a cream coloured Escalade (ie giant Cadillac SUV!! No joke!) stop and roll her window down and check out my neighbour's pile (there were antiques in it). We stopped and were chatting with another neighbour 5 blocks down from ours when she drove by again, cruising slowly, checking out the piles... we asked her what she was doing and she tore off.

You'd think these people would realise it's all going in the garbage because it's CONTAMINATED. I mean..it boggles the mind!
6/10/2012 11:17:31 AM
ring of fire dude says:
I seen the same woman too ! I think it was Brandi from "Storage Wars"
6/10/2012 3:03:14 PM
issy says:
Really?????? Things are not bad enough??? Now we have to watch out for the "vultures"? They wouldnt want to be caught around my families home! Just sayin!
6/9/2012 6:07:06 PM
Tom Sanderson says:
The thieves stealing peoples property are 10 times worse than what people perceive the lawyers involved in the class action lawsuit are.
6/9/2012 9:13:57 PM
nvjgu says:
Towns just full of them isn't it. Bunch of losers.
6/9/2012 11:38:37 PM
Escroft says:
They should act more like the U.S. national guard when put on site of disaster areas. The National Guard has the authority to shoot at thieves/looters and/or arrest with extreme prejudice. Our country should adopt the same. I am sorry, but I don't tolerate thieves taking from someone who's already been kicked to the curb. That's not Canadian! That's not even humane, and I'd be d***ed to have that happen so openly in my country. Too many lenient laws in this country that benefit the perpetrator.
6/10/2012 6:02:48 AM
unknowncronic says:
NOTICE: Please be aware of the many YARDSALES that will be held here in Thunder Bay till atleast until 2015 as they may contain sewer back-up!!!!
6/10/2012 6:52:18 AM
colleenopaski says:
How low can people go around here. Those poor folks lost so much, and still the low life of the city take more from them. If they are caught, I would be sure to throw the book at them, makes me sick just thinking about it.
6/10/2012 8:37:00 AM
imchino says:
Anything put curbside = public property, as far as I know.
(it was a Supreme Court of Canada ruling, so that police can look through your garbage without a warrant)
....Just sayin'.
6/10/2012 11:12:45 AM
moonpie says:
I was about to post the same comment. You are correct, anything left at curbside is public property. People are free to take your garbage if they choose, its not against the law. That's why its important to destroy any items (mail etc) that contain your personal information.
6/10/2012 1:40:35 PM
hopper says:
They've said removing anything from curbside in the sewage flooded areas is not allowed, that's why the garbage teams (fantastic people) are all wearing protective gear, gloves and respirators. Anyway most of it is on private property. Are people that greedy that they'd steal turd-soaked items?
They should be charged withspreading contamination or something.
6/10/2012 4:14:35 PM
Sui Generis says:
The court does take into account extenuating circumstances. When an entire city (or a large portion of it) is in crisis, AND the entire city is aware that these items are not garbage, then that precedent does not apply.
6/11/2012 9:06:19 AM
crankypants says:
its probably on peoples lawns.... not curbside. and if you're not stupid you'd realize the stuff wasn't for the taking.
6/10/2012 1:57:38 PM
countrychick says:
If it is items that are important to you or costly then secure them .... put it in the back of the house or store it else where if you can... we had some damage and we are storing stuff in out back deck covered up and it is against the house... if i where to put anything curside if you want it that bad go for it....
6/10/2012 11:26:01 PM
pandamonium says:
how about posting the culprit's name?
6/11/2012 10:49:27 AM
anonymous2012 says:
The stuff on people's lawns are contaminated and for health and safety reasons other people should not be digging through it or taking it away unless they are properly protected and part of a clean up crew.

However, that being said, why are the original owners of the stuff so upset that people are picking through their things. I don't assume any of them want to salvage the items as they are contaminated and not safe, and if they were planning on keeping these items I would also assume that the items would not be left out on the front lawn.

I can understand that people don't want strangers on their private property for other reasons, but the tresspassing issue was never one that was raised. Everyone seems to be most upset that other people are stealing their things. So aside from the concern for other people's health, and the concern about strangers lurking around your home, (both issues I can understand) why would you care that someone else is taking away your garbage?
6/11/2012 3:42:48 PM
bool says:
People get upset because those "things" are there cherished possesions. They have either purchased or aquired over the years with some having great emotional value and the idea of someone else picking through and taking them is just as hard to take as when they lost them in the flood. I would rather see something that was personal to me go to the dump not to someone else. Also who would want contaminated belonging in thier back yard?
6/12/2012 9:30:59 AM