Ex-Sky - TBCA

Signature Banner Ad

Big Box - Bill Mauro

Would you consider taking your pet to the U.S. for veterinary care because of high costs here in Canada?

2012-08-13 at 10:14

MNR searching for possible injured bear

By Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com
Do you want to BREAK YOUR BANK?Banks put holds your cheques. They make you wait in line. Choose a better, quicker option. Visit XTRA CASH!Click here for full list of services

Thunder Bay Police are cautioning the public that an injured bear may be wandering in the vicinity of Lakehead University.
The Ministry of Natural Resources is on hand patrolling the area in search of the animal.

Police on Monday said the public should be especially cautious near the trails along Oliver Road and Balmoral Street.

Comments

wildlife says:
just a ton of animals here in the city.
8/13/2012 10:59:15 AM
stuck? says:
quick! somebody feed the deer to attract the bear!
8/13/2012 11:36:22 AM
blue says:
Last time I had a problem with a bear the MNR told me to call the bear technicians. I think these guys were in Toronto !
8/13/2012 12:01:27 PM
unionbay880 says:
Last time I checked the MNR was telling people to call the police about wild animals. I guess they realized just how many MNR jobs will be cut if they dont keep handling wildlife calls.
8/13/2012 12:48:44 PM
big joe mufferaw says:
Too late...so many MNR jobs have been cut that they can't do anything about anything that has to do with wildlife. That's why they refer it to the police...completely under staffed for a vital department like this...it will change when the cougars and bears move into Scarborough.
8/14/2012 9:03:08 AM
colleenopaski says:
I wonder how the bear got injured??? Last year, police were called to put down a injured baby fawn, shot him once, and left him for dead in my brother's yard, poor thing was not dead!!!!!
8/13/2012 1:01:54 PM
Frankwood says:
Just saw (and reported) the bear (3pm) in George Burke park. Didn't really look injured to me.
8/13/2012 3:20:54 PM
millie brendza says:
They probably will kill him like all nature's wildlife that get in the way.Heaven forbid to try to save him?
8/13/2012 3:41:03 PM
anonnymouse says:
Hey Millie - any clue how much it costs to "try and save" injured wildlife? i have a 120 lb dog that costs me a small fortune each time she goes to the vet, not that I am complaining. IF an injured animal can be saved, where does one house them for the duration of their rehabilitation? Who pays the vet meal, the medical expenses..and the food? Who cares for the animal on a daily basis? And after that, who would be responsible for the time, energy and expense associated with re-introducing them to the wild?? Carrying a firearm in the line of duty does not necessarily mean you enjoy hunting OR putting wildlife out of it's misery when it is absolutely necessary. So please don't be so quick to judge. And if an injured bear shows up on your doorstep in an aggressive manner OR attacks your pet or child (God forbid), you might understand why injured animals are often put down and be thankful for those who "kill all natures' wildlife that get in the way".
8/13/2012 5:16:39 PM
Panther33 says:
I was walkin my dog at george burke ball park at 3... saw no bear nor signs of bear... just the ballpark caretaker and a few ppl walkin and biking etc... I take my dog that way 2x a day and saw nothing....bears won't usually stay close to the path there... but with the heat, would prefer the cool water... which is where i was walking... from the ball park up to golf links...walkin mid river... wouldn't a dog or other animal sense or smell the bear if it was upwind?
8/13/2012 6:24:04 PM
millie brendza says:
Hey anonnymouse- was it really dangerous and necessary to kill the baby bears a few years ago?I'm sure it would not have been a 'fortune' to relocate them. Yes if they are badly hurt i would not want them to suffer but these babies were not.Killing is not a solution.We live in an area with a lot of wildlife and how fortunate we are.
8/13/2012 10:24:12 PM
chezhank says:
Maybe the bear was going to emergency at the hospital if it was injured!
8/13/2012 10:34:11 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
Why would an injured bear be more dangerous? Vengeance? You'd think they'd be preoccupied with their ailment. Or just more anthropomorphism from people who don't really know?
8/14/2012 5:37:29 AM
Mazda323 says:
I'm sure the emergency department would appreciate having the bear in there, it's probably more civilized than some of their regular patients
8/14/2012 8:19:18 AM
BetterThunderBay says:
I saw a bear this morning on my bike ride to work. I was on the multi-use trail just south of Lakehead. I kept my distance and waited for it to leave the path. Definitely around there somewhere! I called LU security about it, and they said they've received several calls.
8/14/2012 12:57:27 PM