Skyscraper

Sign -Driving Miss Daisy

Sign/Anishnawbe Mushkiki

Skyscraper - The Vue

Big Box / Belluz Farms

The new school year begins tomorrow. Will you be happy to have your kids back in class?

2012-08-20 at 14:15

Rules of the hunt

By Jeff Labine, tbnewswatch.com
ENERGY 103 104Play Minute to Win it at 7:20 weekdays mornings with Kaile Jaggard and WIN! on your station for 80’s 90’s and Now…Energy 103 104 Click Here!

Before hunters take aim at any deer, city officials want to make sure residents know the hunting rules.

Council passed a bylaw in May allowing bow hunting within city limits in rural areas designated by the city. With Sept.1 being the first day of the whitetail deer season, city officials wanted to make sure all hunters understood the bylaw.  Those city officials held a local media conference Monday morning to help get their message to the public.

The bylaw states hunts can only be done from a tree stand or other similar stands that are no lower than three metres in height. Hunters can’t fire an arrow within 75 metres of a dwelling or highway, can only bait the deer from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15 and manage deer remains with written permission from landowners.

Thunder Bay Police Service Insp. Alan McKenzie said they will be focusing their efforts on trespassing complaints. To avoid trespassing confusion residents are encouraged to put a sign up on their lawn stating they do not allow hunting on their property.

“I’ve spoken with other communities that have had a bow hunt for a number of years and they said they have had no issues with policing,” McKenzie said.

“It all falls down on ethical hunting practices, which I think people partake in. They should possibly be more cautious because they are closer to our community. I don’t see everyone going door-to-door seeing if they can hunt there.”

In terms of enforcement, he said they will be dealing with any situation based on complaints.

But city police will also be sharing some responsibilities of enforcement with the Ministry of Natural Resources.

The MNR steps in whenever hunting regulations come into effect that isn’t covered by the bylaw. City police will ensure hunters are following the 75-metre distance rule and the MNR will cover proper hunting tags and equipment.

“It’s very expensive to get into bow hunting,” he said. “It takes money and a lot of practice.”

One issue that could come up is who’s responsible for a wounded animal that moves from one property to another. In this case a hunter would need permission from the property owner to go on their land to retrieve the deer.

But if the landowner doesn’t agree to the hunter coming on their property, then the deer becomes their possession and will need to have all the proper hunting tags.

Ron Bourret, manager of licensing and enforcement, said they will be asking at the next council meeting to amend the bylaw to increase some of the hunting areas by five per cent.

Environmental Protection Zones were supposed to be included in the bylaw but weren’t because of an oversight.

“It’s going to expand it very little,” Bourret said. “It does make sense and that’s where these animals accumulate. Neebing will be certainly impacted because of the Kaministiquia River area so for them that will be an area that will be certainly doubled.”

Neebing Coun. Linda Rydholm said she hopes the hunt helps control the city’s deer population, but wanted to clarify some of the misunderstandings residents were getting. For instance, she saw on Thunder Bay Television that people thought they could use firearms while bow hunting.

“It should be emphasized that the bow hunt will be allowed in rural parts of Neebing ward and Mcintyre ward and it is bow hunt only,” she said.

“We all have to practice safety and recognize that this is a necessity. We must reduce the deer.”

The city will be hosting an information session on Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Confederation College in lecture room 351 for anyone who has questions about the bow hunt.

Residents can also visit the city’s website for more info about the bylaw

Banner/Vector Construction

Comments

chezhank says:
Waiting for bowhunters!
Tbnewswatch.com

8/20/2012 4:38:38 PM
Tiredofit says:
I wonder where the bear parked his bike...... I think he deserves a bow himself just to equal things out.
8/20/2012 5:05:08 PM
chezhank says:
In the city bike racks.....and I agree in the fundamental right to arm bears!
8/20/2012 5:28:34 PM
passlake says:
as long as your give the bear's prey (fish, small mammals, etc) large claws and powerful hind legs, "just to equal things out".
8/20/2012 5:44:50 PM
dozerman says:
This should be interesting! Solving one problem with a bigger and more dangerous one!!!
8/20/2012 8:47:56 PM
nvjgu says:
By by bambi.
8/20/2012 8:54:57 PM
canrebel53 says:
chezhank, nice, and i guarantee yea if it was the bears and the deer that had the bow's the great white hunter would be at home watching TV. Any more bull calls about the phantom bear , cougar and lynx, I wonder why Bigfoot didn't show up.
8/20/2012 10:12:33 PM
joey joe joe jr. shabadoo says:
WHAT A JOKE!

Island hunting is called a slaughter,

not hunting!

Cant wait till someone gets hurt just to say "I TOLD YA SO"
8/21/2012 9:40:46 AM
cachinnate says:
Where is this "Island" that people will be hunting on? Please tell, as I've looked on the map and cannot find any island in the hunting areas.
8/21/2012 11:23:50 AM
hunterthedog says:
Hey Joey Joe Joe. Go back to your momma's basement and watch the Simpsons. Island hunting is NOT called a slaughter, it is called poaching, because there is NO HUNTING on the islands. Do a tiny little bit of research before posting such nonsense.
8/21/2012 1:38:57 PM
gusto says:
I can't believe what a complete bunch of morons we have in this city! THERE IS NO HUNT ON MISSION ISLAND. How many other ways do we need to beat this into your thick skull. Give it up already. It is a bow hunt. No one will get hurt. When was the last time anyone heard anything about someone getting hurt by a bow hunter. Please do us all a favour and stop grasping at straws that do not exist.
8/21/2012 2:04:43 PM
The Badger Mountain Hermit says:
Don't VOODOO the deer hunt, Chicken-Little.
8/22/2012 7:30:49 AM
barry medawin says:
Does anyone know about the rules if hunting from your own dwelling? I intend to dust off my old bow and hunt deer from my deck in the back yard, and I am guessing that since this is my dwelling, the 75 meter rule does not count.
8/21/2012 9:50:41 AM
Tiredofit says:
If I read his correctly, if an injured deer falls and dies on my property and I refuse to let the hunter on my land, I HAVE TO HAVE A VALID TAG???? If I refuse and don't have a tag I'll be charged?? WTF kind of rule is that?

Who writes these laws? Bozo the Deer Hunter?
8/21/2012 3:32:58 PM
chezhank says:
It wasn't from Bob and Doug McKenzie from the Great White North!
After you tag the tresspasser you keep the deer!
How much is a tresspasser tag?
8/21/2012 6:08:17 PM
brooky says:
If you will not allow the hunter on your property, and don't have a tag, the MNR will take the animal.
8/21/2012 10:18:41 PM
localdog says:
You don't have to worry though, according to the highly-skilled hunters that comment in this forum no one in the history of bow hunting has ever missed their target so there is no chance of an animal only being wounded and running off.
8/22/2012 2:15:44 AM
barry medawin says:
Talked to the MNR people and it seems as though I may not be able to shoot my bow in my own yard. This seems wrong to me since it's fair game compared to this island hunt. I mean what kind of sport is an island hunt>!?! It's like fishing in an aquarium!!
8/21/2012 5:15:26 PM
grs says:
:facepalm:

....island hunt....really?
Maybe you can't read and all you know is where to look for the 'add a new comment' and 'post comment' links.
8/22/2012 8:51:14 AM
twisted says:
Why dont they allow hunting on the reserve??
8/21/2012 7:08:18 PM
cachinnate says:
Another poster alluding to an "Island Hunt" Where is this mysterious Island that you speak of??? Because there is no island within the city's permitted dear hunt area that I can find
8/21/2012 10:02:53 PM
JIMMY2 says:
I am not looking for tons of negative comments, I just want to be informed on how accurate bow hunting is, are the animals going to suffer, or is it one shot and their done, like with a gun,
8/22/2012 8:09:10 AM
localdog says:
The reality is, hunters can and do often miss the target. Animals can either be severely wounded and suffer before they die over a long period of time or they can be wounded and end up running and never found, again to suffer from the wound or die later on. No one can guarantee a "kill" on every shot no matter how experienced they are. If people are going to hunt, hopefully they are experienced enough to do it in a quick and painless manner. But with the number of "new" hunters getting their license each year that's highly unlikely.
8/22/2012 12:16:24 PM
chezhank says:
In Duluth bow-hunters must
"Pass a shooting proficiency .... Hunters will be required to take the test using the same bow and arrows they intend to use during the actual hunt. "
This is not a requirement in Thunder Bay.
I suggest a proficiency test a la William Tell.
The apple to be placed on the heads of those advocating a deer bow hunt in city limits.
8/22/2012 2:02:21 PM
eddylives says:
WOW!!
It is stated in pretty clear english in the article.
Either some need to learn how to read or are just attempting to stir the pot.
8/22/2012 8:49:42 AM
eddylives says:
JIMMY2......a valid question.
As an avid outdoors person I can only say that the hunting methods are only as clean a kill as the shooter.
If any hunter has a miss placed shot with either gun or bow there is a possibility of a longer period the animal will suffer.
Unfortunately there is no way to ensure this does not happen but true hunters will target shoot to hone their skills to try and minimize the possibility of this occurring.
8/22/2012 11:20:57 AM
canrebel53 says:
All these great experience hunters everyone's talking about. Are these the same hunters that shoot up road signs, walk up gravel roads and shoot at moose. Or the best one I seen, 6 hunters on top of a full size van running up and down gravel roads hunting moose.
8/25/2012 8:17:30 AM