Sign/Superior Sea Lions

Sky/Bestway

Faculty of Education Teaching English as a Second Language

Do you view the municipal election as a de facto plebescite on the event centre?

2013-01-08 at 14:51

Online burning permit service now available

City of Thunder Bay
Rock 94Win one of 10 Amazing Concert packages to be given away – Tune in Now! On Your Undisputed Concert Station ROCK 94 Click Here!

THUNDER BAY -- City residents can now renew burning permits online.

The city announced the new online service Tuesday, which will eliminate the need for many residents to visit their nearest fire station to renew their permits.

A news release issued by the City of Thunder Bay can be read below in its entirety.
__________________________

January 7, 2013 – Residents can now apply for and renew burning permits online. Over 4,400 burning permits were issued in 2012 for recreational and open burning in Thunder Bay.

“The new online service allows you to apply for your burning permit at your convenience, from the comfort of your home or anywhere there is an internet connection,” said Deputy Fire Chief Greg Hankkio. “No more going to your closest fire station and hoping the crew isn’t out on a call.”

You must obtain a permit prior to conducting any open-air burning in the City of Thunder Bay. All new permits require an on-site inspection to ensure that all guidelines have been adhered to. All new Recreational Burning Permits and all Open Burning Permits will be issued at the cost of $20 which includes the site inspection. The cost to renew all Burn Permits annually is $20.

A permit is valid for that calendar year. Permits will only be issued to residents located in the City of Thunder Bay. Failure to obtain a permit before burning may result in charges being laid and a fine of up to $25,000.

Permits are valid for the calendar year. If you have an existing permit, renew it now and it will be valid until Dec. 31, 2013. Be fire safe and fire wise and get your permit online – it only takes a few minutes! Visit www.thunderbay.ca/fire.

Banner/Vector Construction

Comments

The Wolf says:
Funny this is. The justification of the annual costs was for administrative reasons. Now we can do it online there is no administration work being done, so why the cost to us????? Oh yea, MONEY GRAB.
1/8/2013 5:54:45 PM
nvjgu says:
Wow 88k for fire permits, thats good money but what about the smoke in the neighbour's house getting into the clothes stinking up the inside can't open the windows ashes on the car in the morning. Back yard campfire burning should not be allowed in the city. It's not sibley.
1/9/2013 6:52:50 AM
Glyder says:
If your getting smoke in your house, that means your neighbour is burning most likely green wood, garbage paper and cardboard. If its an issue, and you don't feel comfortable talking to your neighbour, call the fire dept, and they will come and visit the persons fire pit.

We had an issue 2 years ago where a guy was burning lumber in his backyard from a renovation. During the day. Call the fire dept, they came and took care of it.

Your only allowed to burn after 5 pm, so if you hang clothes on the line during the day, take them off if your neighbour is going to burn.

I have a pit, and I have never had any complaints from my neighbours, fire dept and also no ash on my car or neighbours cars.

I don't agree with your comment about not allowing backyard burning. How is it any different than people with wood-burning stoves, or fireplaces that burn throughout the winter. The same ash and smoke you criticize for fire pits is just the same with fire places.
1/9/2013 9:29:56 AM
TBDR says:
This is potentially the dumbest post I've read all week.
1/9/2013 11:20:41 AM
averagejoe says:
Agree 100% with the smoke issues. I don't have AC and many nights I can't open a window because of the smoke. Also, the fire is usually left smoldering so I can't even open a window after midnight. Maybe I'll start calling the fire dept to deal with it...
1/9/2013 5:26:16 PM
tired says:
Money grab is right, 2 years ago it cost $10 to renew. Why am I paying the city to burn my wood in my firepit on my property. I agree with the initial inspection and cost but why do I need to renew anything?????
1/9/2013 7:21:43 AM
joey joe joe jr. shabadoo says:
The new website has an error that needs to be changed.... It shows 8” clearance on all sides, which I believe should be 8'...I may be mistaken, but pretty sure it should be feet. :)
1/9/2013 12:11:36 PM
newsreader says:
Which means you would require a deck no smaller than 16’ by 26’ with the firepot dead centre.
1/9/2013 3:04:15 PM
Glyder says:
I believe the site is correct...

"If an appliance such as a chiminea is to be used on a wooden deck, proper shielding to protect the combustible deck will be required, as outlined in section 2.6.2. of the Ontario Fire Code.

8” clearance on all sides
18” clearance on loading side
For heat protection, one course of brick or stone to be installed under appliance.
For ember protection, sheet metal to be installed under brick or stone.
1/9/2013 3:15:23 PM
Chaos says:
The hours to burn each year keep shrinking....why?
1/9/2013 1:00:00 PM
Glyder says:
"Burning will take place between 1700 and 2400 hours (5:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m.)."

Actually, they have increased the hours. 2 years ago, the hours were from 7pm -11 pm. Last year they increased to 5-midnight. They are the same this year.
1/9/2013 3:13:51 PM