Skyscraper

Big Box - True North

Polls are not available.
Polls are not available.
2013-01-14 at 15:17

Final local Zellers location closes

By tbnewswatch.com
Be Bob's Friend: Join our FacebookEverything is COZIER, WARMER, SEXIER, with a fireplace. Stylish Luxury meets functional heating at Bob's Intelligent Heating DecorClick Here

THUNDER BAY -- A Canadian retailer is closing its doors in Thunder Bay for good.

Monday marks the final day for the Zellers location at Intercity Shopping Centre.

The store slashed prices by up to 90 per cent as it prepares to close down at 9 p.m.

This morning, shoppers were flocking to the store for the last time to get their hands on the remaining discounted items. Last year, it was announced the Zellers location will be converted into a Target, which is set to open in June.

It's expected to employ up to 200 people, with $10 million to $11 million being invested to make the location more "Target Friendly."

Thunder Bay's other two Zellers stores closed in June, and have since been converted into Wal-Marts.

(Thunder Bay Television)

Comments

ranma says:
All these poor people who are not guaranteed jobs. And another store coming in to take it's place with more of the same minimum wage, part time jobs. Where are the careers we were promised as children?
1/14/2013 3:37:24 PM
qwerty123 says:
1. part time jobs are essential to employ students while they work their way through a higher education so that they can obtain full time employment in their field of choice with a higher wage.

2. Target has many full time positions with full-coverage benefits and competative salary.

Note: I do not work for Target. I do, however, know people who have already been hired by them and they have been offered a salary they are more than happy with and with full-coverage benefits there is really nothing to complain about.
1/14/2013 4:34:20 PM
Murillorules says:
Yes Ranma, if you were promised a job at Zellers you have been lied to.
Maybe you should have stayed in school and tried for a better career, nothing wrong with retail but the skill level needed is usually reflected in the compensation.
I wasn't aware that our society owed anyone a living.
1/14/2013 4:39:12 PM
Baor says:
The career you were promised as children?! What a childish question. Get off your rear and go earn it.
1/14/2013 11:46:48 PM
fastball says:
Who promised you a "career" as a child?
Finish school, get decent grades - go to university or college to get yourself a real "career".
1/15/2013 8:01:15 AM
ForgotMyName says:
Careers we were promised as children?

You must be under the age of 25... I was not promised anything as a child. I was taught that hard work and being accountable to yourself and the people around you was key and finding a job was up to you.

People want things handed to them without doing anything for it. It is going to make a sad state when these 'kids' grow up and realize that nothing is free.

*Before you judge that I don't know what I am talking about I am in my late twenties.
1/15/2013 9:02:40 AM
kurt says:
thats the thing right thier ranma .... you could have gotten a career as you were told when you were a child ... if you went to school . if you think working at zellers is a career then i feel sorry for you .
1/14/2013 4:27:38 PM
RBosch says:
@Ranma. I am not sure what the intent of your post is. Zellers had existed in this city for some time and have decided to no longer exist. Target and Walmart taking over the stores provide jobs to people, quite similar and perhaps better than what Zellers had to offer in compensation, but the status quo is better than completely closing the doors. We should be welcoming new business to town, no matter where it comes from, not complaining.
1/14/2013 4:40:17 PM
hadenough says:
I don't think that was Ranma's intent in his post.
I believe he's commenting on the loss of the Zeller's employees jobs and them not getting the Target jobs automatically.
Big difference between a job and a career also and I think Ranma was trying to make that point as well, i.e. education = good paying career.

Let's face it. Zellers likely was looking to exit the market anyway. If they weren't, they were doing a great job of giving up and letting Walmart kick them out.
1/14/2013 5:48:43 PM
countrychick says:
I went to zellers yesterday and was slightly a back it was so empty and there was just a few items left. I was kind of sad but I confess I am looking forward to the target so on ward we go! @ranma I don't know about you but I don't ever remember being promised a career as a child!
1/14/2013 5:57:51 PM
moonwolf says:
I wonder if the target is going to have the same anticompetetive restrictions that were placed on the Walmart in the Arthur Street Marketplace? I was shocked and disappointed that because Metro dosen't want competition for food, that Walmart cannot sell food of any type, except chocolate. I was really looking forward to better prices that Walmart offers. I refuse to shop at Metro with thier inflated prices for low quality foods, especially at the Arthur Street Marketplace location. Heck, they can't even have a McDonalds, what's up with that?!
1/14/2013 6:25:51 PM
Dan Dan says:
Wal-Mart doesn't offer better wages than anyone - we should not be welcoming that parasite under any circumstances.
1/14/2013 7:37:34 PM
Sui Generis says:
Walmart offers the exact same wages Superstore does, except they offer room for advancement and more hours than Superstore does. Plus, Walmart offers profit sharing, partial benefits, etc.

Quit letting the media spoon feed you false information and actually find these things out for yourself!
1/14/2013 10:38:53 PM
Dan Dan says:
That is completely false. Also, Superstore used to have significantly higher wages and benefits than Wal-Mart, but the arrival of Wal-Mart dragged Superstore compensation down to their meagre level.

The negative effects of Wal-Mart are easily seen; people shop there to save a nickel on detergent and end up making themselves incredibly poorer on the whole.
1/15/2013 11:08:37 AM
woof!! says:
It would have been nice if this article was researched more.....Zellers has signs up that as of 9am they are closed and out of stock.
1/14/2013 8:15:44 PM
joey joe joe jr. shabadoo says:
@ramma: The people who wanted careers worked for & got them...

People who stayed @ Zellers got the same papers as those @ Great Lakes Mill did years ago...yer walking papers.
1/14/2013 9:00:16 PM
need_to_know says:
There are good paying jobs out there. You need to be ambitious and educated(trades included) and ambitious. Yes I said it twice.
1/14/2013 9:43:07 PM
SomeGuy says:
Good riddance, Zellers always sold crappy products, and their customer service was bad.
1/14/2013 11:59:56 PM
moonpie says:
Some people really should have stayed in school, and I'm not talking about "ramma". You don't think Zellers provided career employment opportunities? Um, how about management as a career? Supervisors? Sales? Pharmacists and technicians? Marketing? Human Resources? Security? The store doesn't run on shelf stocker's and cashiers alone. I'm pretty sure ramma's comment referred to the lack of career opportunities available to people nowadays in all markets, not just at Zellers. As a kid we're told "study hard, you'll have a good career". That's only true if the jobs are available. Judging by the stupidity of some of these comments I'm willing to bet half of you are only pretending to actually have a career.
1/15/2013 12:03:46 AM
youngintbay says:
Thats the thing @moonwolf. Same with Thunder Bay was suppose to get a costco but superstore said they didnt want the competition. Thats bs if the city taxpayers want something here we should have the say not a company.
1/15/2013 7:40:18 AM
ranma says:
To all you negative nellies, I have a diploma, I have a degree, I have a mining ticket, yet no one in this town will hire me because every job I apply for has hundreds of people applying. I can't get a mining job because my Metis status is not reserve status because of the location of the mine.

There are those of us who have all the qualification but still can't get real jobs because too many other people are like us fighting for the same jobs. Go out and get one? How about you lose your job and then try to find another. You will realize just how difficult it is to find something in this city that pays a living wage.
1/15/2013 7:42:33 AM
SomeGuy says:
Change careers, maybe start your own business, move.
1/15/2013 12:43:33 PM
mazda323 says:
no one is 'guaranteed' a job. Educate yourself properly and you will have a good job..if you have the ambition to seek one. We were also not 'promised' a career. Same applies, educate yourself and arm yourself with some ambition. It's up to you to make yourself or break yourself.
1/15/2013 9:39:45 AM
CM Punk says:
there are good jobs out there, but you gotta know the right people too.
not necessarily be qualified for it.
1/15/2013 10:17:12 AM
cowgirl says:
Unless you work for a company like Walmart, Target or Zellers dont make comments about salaries, benefits, work hours etc. Also many ppl working for companies like them have great education and this is the career they choose because it is what they enjoy.
These jobs provide for families everyday.
1/15/2013 10:43:15 AM
MD says:
Those people are clearly doing the work for the pay and the discounts...
1/15/2013 1:47:59 PM
blue_eyes says:
ha, we work there cause of the discounts, no, we got that taken away from us. we had to use our credit cards to be able to get a discount. we worked there because we needed a way to pay for our bills and support our families. I for one, worked there to be able to pay for my post secondary education.

and for those of you saying we had "crappy customer service" YOU are the reason YOU got that crappy service. in the last few weeks, we watched numerous customers tear apart an aisle, after we just cleaned it, and then had the nerve to complain about how "messy" our store was. YOU make it that way, YOU get what you deserve.

I will miss my Zellers family, it was a wonderful 4 years. I will not miss YOU nasty customers!
1/15/2013 11:55:46 PM