2014-01-15 at 14:51
Health Unit confirms 93 flu cases, five deaths
Substance UseAre you pregnant and struggling with addictions during pregnancy? Talk to your healthcare provider.www.mushkiki.com
The district’s health unit has confirmed 93 case of influenza.
In a news release issued to media Wednesday afternoon, officials with the Thunder Bay and District Health Unit provided updates to its ongoing monitoring of flu cases in this area.
That Wednesday update also came with confirmation that five deaths remain attributed to influenza.
The statistics provided in the news release can be read below:
Click here to submit a letter to the editor.
Local Flu Update
· 93 lab-confirmed cases of the flu (influenza)
· 5 flu-related deaths
· Flu shots available:
· Health care providers
· Local pharmacies
· The Health Unit’s appointment-based immunization clinic, held every Wednesday from 1:00 pm to 6:00 pm
· Check Ontario.ca/flu to locate a flu clinic near you
The Health Unit reminds the public that they can prevent getting and spreading infections by:
· Getting a seasonal flu shot from the Health Unit or local health care provider.
· Washing hands often, for at least 15 seconds with soap and warm water, or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
· Covering coughs/sneezes with the upper sleeve if no tissue is available.
· Putting all used tissues in the garbage right away.
· Staying at home if sick to avoid spreading infections to others.
For more information, visit thunderbayflu.ca
Influenza A Confirmed:
· Influenza A has been confirmed as the cause of the respiratory outbreak declared on Friday, January 10 at Lakehead Manor
· Outbreak is facility-wide
· Visitor restrictions remain in place at the facility. Family and friends of residents may call facility for more information
Click here to report a typo or error