Current Weather
9.4°C Cloudy NE 13 km/h
Full Forecast
Tbnewswatch Local News
Monday May 25 2015
5:26 AM EDT
2014-02-27 at 10:33

Emergency declared

FILE -- Greenstone mayor Renald Beaulieu
FILE -- Greenstone mayor Renald Beaulieu
By Jodi Lundmark,

Greenstone has declared a state of emergency.

About 800 customers are without heat after the natural gas regulating station in Longlac experienced a complete loss of pressure as a result of the weather conditions.

"The cause is not known," said David Sword, the district manager for Union Gas in Northwestern Ontario.

"Our top priority right now though is to ensure the system remains safe and to restore natural gas service to the affected customers as quickly as possible," he added.

Restoring service to 800 customers will take time and Sword said they hope to relight appliances in people's homes by late afternoon and it will take well into the night to complete.

"We live here, too, and we know what the weather is like and we're working as quickly as possible to restore service to customers," he said.

An emergency centre has been set up at the Longlac Firehall and Greenstone Mayor Renald Beaulieu said the municipality has taken over the Geraldton high school to accommodate people being evacuated from their homes.

Residents are asked to go to the south-side gymnasium doors to enter.

"There will be busing to take the people there leaving say from the fire hall in Longlac but we will try to make arrangements, whatever has to be done for our seniors," said Beaulieu.

People leaving their homes should leave a tap slowly running to avoid frozen waters.

To assist Union Gas, municipal officials ask residents to ensure gas meters are shoveled out to provide easy access to workers.

Longlac ward residents who require transportation to Geraldton are asked to call 854-1100.

Click here to submit a letter to the editor.

Click here to report a typo or error


We've improved our comment system.
gone for good says:
Just goes to show how little you know. They are designed for indoor use if done properly.
2/28/2014 10:46:53 AM
moi says:
Luv my woodstove.
2/28/2014 9:07:43 AM
outofgas says:
Running a kerosene heater inside without outside ventilation? Why don't you run your propane barbecue inside? NOT!
2/28/2014 9:04:39 AM
pc says:
we have been doing so for about 4 years now. It is an old house and I guess with all the drafts it does not seem to be a problem. We have carbon monoxide detectors and they have never once gone off. We have 3 cats and they have never been sick.
If we use the propane stove in the house due to power outages we put it on the counter in front of the window and open the window.
Use caution and you should not have a problem with any form of energy.
2/28/2014 1:07:18 PM
gone for good says:
Have you priced kereosene lately PC?
I just bought to five gallon cans in the fall for my two heaters in case of any interuption on my hydro. That rarely happens were I live. But it's a great peace of mind to have them ready to go if need be. And if they are not made by 'Kerosun" they tend to throw off a lot of fumes.
Those two 5 gallon cans were not cheap.
It's great for an emergency, but saving money is very unlikely at 4 bucks a litre.
If they are lit outside, smell is minimal but one still needs to crack a window open slightly when they are fired up.
2/27/2014 11:57:17 PM
pc says:
yes I have. a 9.46L plastic jug is just under $30. But it means our hydro bill is usually around the $200 mark a month. We have only had to fill our oil tank once this winter.
10 jugs of kerosene last us just over 2 weeks and we heat our entire home using the heaters.
We also have no open windows and if they burn properly there is little or no smell. Our 2 are Keroworld and we have had them for about 4 years and change the wick every year before we turn them on.
2/28/2014 11:44:20 AM
Greenstoner says:
tsb. It might be that the frost is going deeper into the ground as the winter drags on.
2/27/2014 8:28:43 PM
Arch Stanton says:
Quote "experienced a complete loss of pressure as a result of the weather conditions." "The cause is not known," said David Sword, the district manager for Union Gas in Northwestern Ontario.

Well.... sounds like it was the result of the weather conditions(!!!)
2/27/2014 4:59:08 PM
tsb says:
What specifically about the weather conditions? It got colder than this last month and they didn't have this problem, so what changed?
2/27/2014 7:30:25 PM
Marak says:
WOW... that sucks. I have a gas fireplace in my basement that I like to think I can rely on if the power goes out but never thought about the gas itself giving out. I should figure out something else to count on if the gas ever conks out here! :(
2/27/2014 1:43:03 PM
pc says:
you might want to consider a kerosene heater. No outside ventilation is required kerosene stores easily in their jugs and a heater can heat a house quite easily.
saves money on hydro bills if used all the time for heat instead of a forced air furnace.
2/27/2014 9:15:00 PM
mnr says:
If the entire city of Thunder Bay had to leave its taps on a trickle to keep pipes from freezing, according to my calculations we could just about fund the event center based on our water rates.

In all seriousness though, horrible time of year for this to happen. Hopefully it is resolved soon.

2/27/2014 12:59:25 PM
smartguy83 says:
Water rates won't/can't fund the event centre
2/27/2014 2:05:06 PM
ring of fire dude says:
Will/can .... shell game 101
2/27/2014 3:22:11 PM
mikevirtanen1961 says:
That shell game was outlawed by the Province in 2002. Water rates cannot support an Event Centre, an Event Centre cannot subsidize water rates. The City could incur heavy fines if it tried.
2/27/2014 7:14:45 PM
Ranma says:
They are lucky they have an office there. When our furnace failed 15 years ago and we called union gas, their call center in Toronto said they would have someone out to look at it in 3-4 days. At the time it was -30C out.

Hopefully they find the reason for this and no property damage occurs, and no one dies.
2/27/2014 11:46:38 AM
1234 says:
It happened in the Murillo area a few years back,it is important to know where we live and be prepared fo anything ! And yes it was in the middle of a cold winter for us to.
2/27/2014 10:55:00 AM
pc says:
murphy's law in affect.
Always be prepared for emergencies. Plan for the worse hope for the best.
2/27/2014 12:08:57 PM
S Duncan says:
another good reason to have a wood stove or additional heat source.
2/27/2014 10:46:50 AM
S Duncan says:
wow, that's awful.

Hopefully everyone makes out ok!
2/27/2014 10:46:03 AM
Comments for this story are semi-moderated. Read our comment guideline.

Add a new comment.
You must log in to add comments.
Create a new account
Log In