Web Ad

Marlin Travel

Sign/William's LSY

Sign. Minute Muffler

Sky - Fire Pre #3

CKPR - Cruisin Crew 2014

Click here to see more
Community Calendar
Click here for full listings.
Do you agree with council's decision to move on to Phase 4 of the event centre study?

Total Votes: 634
View Results Past Polls
User Submitted Photo Gallery
Submit Your Own Photos
2014-06-04 at 17:38

Multiple delays finally lead to adjournment of drug trafficking case

By Jodi Lundmark, tbnewswatch.com
ROCK 94Your Rock Station, Always has…Always will be! Click Here!

THUNDER BAY -- After several courtroom delays, the trial of a man accused in a drug trafficking case was adjourned until Thursday.

Forty-eight-year old Marcel Breton was arrested in December 2009 after a search of his Mapleward home and property resulted in the seizure of 120 grams of cocaine, 50 ecstasy tablets, 454 grams of marijuana and two grams of cannabis resin as well as $1.2 million in cash found buried in the ground.

Breton is standing trial at the Thunder Bay Courthouse on drug trafficking charges and possession of property obtained by proceeds of crime.

Day three of the trial started with Breton saying he wasn't feeling well Wednesday morning and that he hadn't slept or eaten in three days.

The judge said he was reluctant to delay the trial and ruled to proceed since Breton was not incapacitated to the point where it was impossible to proceed.

Before the first witness of the day was called, Breton asked to be removed from the courtroom.
"you can do what you want," he said to the judge and Crown attorney Vern Brewer.

Brewer said they could not proceed without Breton present and the judge reiterated that the accused not feeling well wasn't a valid reason to delay.

The Crown called three OPP officers that were involved in the search or Breton's property to the stand throughout the morning.

During the first officer's testimony, court was recessed after Breton announced he had to use the restroom.

Breton also declined to cross-examine the witnesses stating each time he was in no condition to represent himself.

After the officers' testimony, Breton asked to speak with the Crown privately about a possible resolution. The judge requested a lawyer be present for any discussion and in the afternoon appointed lawyer Chris Watkins as amicus.

An amicus is used to assist the court by making sure a self-represented defendant understands the legal process.

The trial was adjourned to 11 a.m. Thursday.


Click here to submit a letter to the editor.

Click here to report a typo or error


Banner/Vector Construction


We've improved our comment system.
Comments for this story are semi-moderated. Read our comment guideline.

Add a new comment.
You must log in to add comments.
Create a new account
Forgot password?
Log In