RED ROCK, Ont. -- The Red Rock First Nation is staging a demonstration Friday afternoon to oppose the storage of nuclear waste in the region.
Chief Pierre Pelletier says even though Nipigon withdrew from the site selection process earlier this week, Friday’s demonstration will go as planned.
“Nipigon made their decision,” Pelletier said during a phone interview with CKPR Radio. “That decision has no bearing on our demonstration because there are still other communities that are involved in (nuclear waste storage site selection process).
Several communities across the region are still considering becoming hosts to a nuclear waste storage site.
The peaceful march across the Nipigon River bridge to the Highway 11-17 junction starts at 3:30 p.m.