TORONTO - The federal government is pledging $660 million for the expansion of a subway line in east-end Toronto, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced Monday.
Flaherty said the money comes at the request of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and city council.
"The message from the government of Canada today is you have our money, now let's get this subway built," Flaherty said at a news conference.
Ford applauded the funding pledge, saying suburban Scarborough will now get the subway it has been waiting for "a long, long time."
"I said we would need the federal government at the table to build the Scarborough subway. Today we have that commitment," he said.
A map at Flaherty's announcement showed a proposed three-stop subway that would extend the Bloor-Danforth subway line from Kennedy station up to Sheppard. That would be longer than the two-stop plan announced by the province earlier this month.
Flaherty also reconfirmed $330 million in federal funding for the Sheppard expansion project, for a total funding commitment for Toronto transit of about $1 billion.
He said he hoped the province would co-operate with the city of Toronto and the federal government on the new plan, but also took a shot at the minority provincial Liberal government.
"Our money's for real, it's in our fiscal framework... and it will flow." he said.
"We keep our commitments, as you know we are a majority government, we will be there, we will pay the money so people don't have to worry about the Government of Canada."
Premier Kathleen Wynne said earlier Monday that she doesn't think the federal government would have come to the table if the province had not made its $1.4-billion funding commitment.
But she said the "disconcerting part" is that the federal money isn't part of a broader transit strategy.
Ford had earlier requested Ottawa step up to the plate and help fund the extension, and a response was due by Sept. 30.
Click here to report a typo or error
You must log in to add comments.
Create a new account
Remember me next time.