TORONTO - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford acknowledged Sunday that he has made mistakes in his life but left unanswered questions about the alleged crack video that has propelled him into the international spotlight.
"I'm the first one to admit I am not perfect, I have made mistakes," Ford told his weekly radio show.
"Unfortunately, I can not change the past, I can just move forward and learn from the past, which, I assure you, I'm doing."
Ford apologized to his family, members of city council and Toronto taxpayers. He said he was referring to being inebriated in public and texting while driving.
"A lot of stupid things, it's all self-inflicted," he said while promising he would make changes.
"I also know that to move forward I have to make changes in my life, which I will assure you I can do," he said. "I want to keep working for the people of this city."
Ford didn't talk about the contents of the video that police say appears to be the one that two media outlets say allegedly appears to show him smoking crack cocaine. He said he hasn't seen the video so it's impossible to explain its contents.
"Obviously when the video is released, I'm going to explain to the best of my ability what's in the video," said Ford, who called on police Chief Bill Blair to release the video so everyone can see it.
"Whatever this video shows, folks, Toronto residents deserve to see and people need to judge for themselves what they see on this video," Ford said.
"That is the right thing to do and chief, I'm asking you to release this video now."
Blair said Thursday that the video will be evidence in the case against Alexander Lisi — a friend and sometimes driver for the mayor. Police allege Lisi tried to get his hands on the video and charged him with extortion.
Lisi was granted bail Friday.
Toronto police said Sunday that it is up to the courts to decide whether evidence is released to the general public.
After reports of the alleged video first surfaced in the Toronto Star and the U.S. website Gawker in May, the mayor said he does not use crack cocaine and that the video does not exist.
He steadfastly refused to talk about the issue for months, but Blair's stunning announcement last Thursday that police had what appeared to be the video triggered a torrent of calls for Ford to either resign or address the issue.
Ford met privately Saturday with deputy mayor Norm Kelly who relayed concerns from city councillors about the fallout from the police revelations.
Kelly appealed on Sunday for everyone, including Ford's critics on city council, to give the mayor a second chance.
"I would urge my colleagues to do that, to show that this is more than just rhetoric... that in fact he has learned his lesson," Kelly told to The Canadian Press in a phone interview after the radio show.
Kelly said Ford addressed a number of the concerns councillors asked him to pass on to the mayor on Saturday, including acknowledging the impact of some of his actions and promising to get a full-time chauffeur to drive him.
The video saga earned Ford international headlines, with countless foreign media devoting space on their websites to the story.
On top of the video story, there have been repeated accounts of Ford appearing intoxicated in public. He acknowleged having too much to drink during a Toronto street festival last summer as well as being intoxicated on St Patrick's Day last year.
The Toronto Star reported Friday that security guards indicated Ford was very intoxicated and struggling to walk and swore at one of his staff members.
The Star said the account was in an incident report sent by one of the guards to a supervisor and was released through freedom of information.
Click here to report a typo or error
You must log in to add comments.
Create a new account
Remember me next time.