PROJECT MANAGER – MAJOR PROJECTS
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The Major Projects department exists to lead the construction of new projects or the expansion of existing facilities, either on-site or in other geographic locations within North America. The group draws upon the expertise of internal and external resources to execute according to objectives.
- Provide project management oversight for the initiation, planning, execution, monitor and control and closure of major capital projects ensuring the well defined project scope is delivered on-time at budgeted cost
- Work with the senior management team to negotiate the assignment of internal resources to capital projects
- Ensure all projects are executed in accordance with all health, safety and environmental regulations
- Establish and maintain relationships with sponsors and stakeholders and external agencies (suppliers, customers, government).
- Work with Corporate legal counsel and Senior Procurement Management to negotiate contract language, terms and conditions.
- Ensure design and construction efforts are performed in compliance with internal processes and the appropriate external laws and regulations
- Participate in decision making, determining best decisions at critical points in the major project
- Provide leadership in project planning and scheduling and Project risk management
- Provide leadership in monitoring and reporting project progress, highlighting variances, and identifying corrective actions.
- Keep complete records to support all contract requirements and avoid the negative consequences of contract disputes.
- Ensure project control, monitoring & assistance until all project objectives are complete
- Ensure construction is effectively coordinated between internal resources and between internal & external resources e.g. civil, mechanical, piping, electrical, instrumentation, to effectively execute projects in proper sequence and timing.
- Monitor productivity and manpower planning; identify deviations from plan, taking appropriate action to bring project back on track.
- Provide oversight in ensuring complete project documentation is obtained from vendors including drawings, spare parts lists, operational and maintenance manuals, software listings, etc.
- Provide leadership to execute Turnkey project
- Establish and build relationship with virtual project team working in Canada or abroad.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Minimum of University Degree in a related field
- Several years of experience in a project environment, responsible for leading the development and construction of major projects
- Experience leading construction projects of considerable scope, complexity and dollar value i.e. multi-million dollar projects
- Experience in a large manufacturing setting, ideally in steel is a great asset
- Experienced in the use of desktop applications, particularly spreadsheet, project mgt and database applications to track and analyze data
- Experience effectively communicating with customers, employees, and senior management working toward optimal solutions.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.