Director External Reporting and Technical Accounting
||Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada
|OLG Site or Facility:
||Foster Drive Office
|Number of Positions:
|Length of Contract:
|Posting Expiry Date:
Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) is committed to delivering gaming entertainment that maximizes economic benefits for the people of Ontario in an efficient and socially responsible manner. We are able to deliver on this commitment through the strength of our prime asset – our people.
Director External Reporting and Technical Accounting
Reporting to the VP Controller, the Director External Reporting and Technical Accounting is responsible for directing and leading OLG’s technical accounting and external regulatory reporting requirements in compliance with current accounting standards to enable consolidation with the Province of Ontario. The position will also lead the assessment and implementation of new accounting standards, the evaluation of the accounting for non-standard transactions and provide advice on the implications of strategic partnerships, all in the best interest of OLG.
What you will be doing:
- Provide strategic oversight with respect to the OLG monthly consolidation process and all external reporting requirements (OLG & Service Providers), including annual consolidated financial statements, annual gross revenue statements, economic benefit reporting and the Annual Report ensuring adherence to applicable accounting principles and in conjunction with timelines outlined in the Ministry directives
- Provide oversight for the integrity of internal controls over financial reporting (ICOFR); ensuring an effective level of governance and oversight currently in place to support compliance with ICOFR
- Lead liaison with Service Providers regarding their financial reporting obligations due to OLG; review Service Provider public company, investor or other disclosures, such as Management Discussion & Analysis, quarterly and annual reports, prospectuses, offering memoranda or any other filings with securities regulators or to investors and make recommendations in the best interests of OLG
- Work collaboratively with the VP Controller and develop strong partnerships with OLG’s division leaders and the CFO to assess the corporate accounting, external reporting/technical accounting implications of various strategic partnerships aligned with the strategic priorities of OLG; assess and make recommendations in the bests interests of OLG
- Preparation of a governance model and controls for financial reporting to ensure that external reporting is completed in accordance with the reporting policies and standards in alignment with accounting principles and Ministry directives
- Lead and provide expertise in highly technical areas such as complex accounting issues, revenue recognition principles, compliance with GAAP/IFRS, corporate policies and statutory regulations
- Accountable for continuous improvement to the annual external financial statement audit and the Management Discussion and Analysis process focusing on increased automation; lead discussions with OLG’s external auditors to resolve non-routine and complex technical accounting and external reporting matters on a timely basis, escalating as needed to the VP Controller
- Provide technical accounting support including consultations to Strategy on mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and other transactions or material events outlining associated accounting considerations.
- Lead the communication of clear and concise technical guidance on new and emerging technical accounting issues to stakeholders across OLG, including the CFO and the Audit Committee and external stakeholders such as the Ministry of Finance, outlining implications to OLG, including the dissemination of any associated training to various internal/external stakeholders on a pro-active basis
- Lead the implementation and continuous improvement of a best practices-oriented structure; focusing on the use of data and analytics or any other automated solutions increasing efficiency and reducing risk of error to OLG in any element of financial reporting
- Lead for the OLG Chartered Professional Accountants training office, providing mentorship and guidance throughout the program
- Actively develop resources by assigning accountability for results, providing feedback and ensuring that the team’s capabilities and skill sets are in alignment with the business needs. Support the professional growth of team members through building strong relationships as a mentor, and monitoring talent, competency and skill development to ensure attainment of individual career goals and department objectives
What we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Accounting
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
- In-depth knowledge of IFRS
- Knowledge of best practices in accounting and work flows
- 10+ years’ related experience including a minimum of 5 years of prior “Big 4” public accounting experience with a focus on IFRS and exposure to financial reporting, revenue recognition and public company reporting
- Experience with complex revenue transactions
- Understanding of OLG’s business model and the lottery and gaming industry is an asset
- Exceptional relationship-building and client management skills with the ability to influence, negotiate and mediate with internal and external stakeholders
- Hands-on leader that has a roll-up-the sleeves, can-do attitude
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare presentations that provide technical concepts clearly to non-technical audiences.
- Strong people leadership skills with the ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage multiple deliverables
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work independently under minimal supervision, and alternately work cohesively within a team environment.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, benefits, defined benefit pension plan and variable pay program
- Extensive training and professional development programs
- Generous leave plans
- Flexible work environment
- Exclusive employee perks
- Get involved with Bet on Green Program to help reduce OLG’s environmental impact
- Support OLG Charities including Federated Health Campaign, United Way Campaign and other fundraising efforts for local charities
- Plus, you’ll contribute to the transformation of lottery and gaming in Ontario through OLG’s business transformation initiative. Visit our website for more information.
Please apply online by 5:00PM on June 19, 2019
OLG values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. OLG is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
If you require accommodation to apply or if selected to participate in an assessment process, please advise Human Resources.