FRONT LINE SUPERVISOR – ELECTRICAL MAINTENANCE
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Comply with Algoma’s Corporate Maintenance Philosophies as detailed in Maintenance Manuals.
- Coordinate and resolve equipment and process problems as required. Will need to work down days, major rebuilds and upgrade projects.
- Will collaborate with Operations and other service groups ensuring that the process and mechanical equipment provides a quality product.
- Responsible for carrying out a prescribed safety program which will involve employee training, conducting regular safety meetings, consistent use of SCR's systems and ensuring the tradesmen are following all safety procedures and practices as required on a regular basis.
- Provide supervision and direction to maintenance crews to carry out mechanical maintenance work including:
- Ensure effective and efficient maintenance of equipment
- Ensure ongoing improvement of maintenance techniques and effectiveness of maintenance crew.
- Work effectively with colleagues and cross-functional peers.
- Ensure area maintenance services are provided in a reliable, safe, and cost effective manner.
- Monitor the delivery of maintenance service from external service providers.
- Identify and recommend equipment improvements.
- Develop, implement and monitor department job safe practices and department specific standard operating procedures.
- Understand principles and ensure compliance with the collective agreement.
- Support the effective implementation and adherence to plant wide standard operating procedures, (both maintenance and operations) including quality and environmental standards.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of all area activities.
- Identify potential equipment problems and opportunities for improvement and communicate with colleagues and peers.
- Provide ongoing specific and technical training and tutoring to area EMT’s, MMT’s and other technical personnel.
- Maintain a high standard of safety, consistent with Corporate and Department policies and as required by the Ontario Health and Safety Act, Ministry of Environment, Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) Code and Gas Safety Code.
- Shift work may be required.
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Minimum three (3) year Diploma in Electrical Technology OR an Electrical Trade Certificate along with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the Electrical maintenance field is preferred.
- Good knowledge of electrical drives, hydraulics, pneumatics, gas distribution, process automation and instrumentation.
- A demonstrated ability in troubleshooting analysis, equipment maintenance and repair techniques.
- Experience with technical drawings and strong knowledge of maintenance systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and leadership skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to Health, Safety and Environmental policies.
- Strong computer skills and experience with systems including Microsoft Office (email, word processing, spreadsheets, project scheduling). Experience with SAP is a definite asset.
- Supervisory experience and experience is an asset.
- This position requires the ability to climb and work at heights.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.