Sioux Lookout Hydro Inc. is an incorporated company owned by the Shareholder, the Municipality of Sioux Lookout. This small local distribution company serves the Municipality of Sioux Lookout located in beautiful Northwestern Ontario. Sioux Lookout is located halfway between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg, north of the Trans-Canada Highway. The beautiful landscape is enhanced as a result of the Town’s placement within a network of lakes, endless forest and the Canadian Shield.
Sioux Lookout Hydro is committed to delivering safe and reliable electricity to our approximately 2,800 households and businesses in a service area of 539 square kilometers, maintaining a 25 kV distribution system.
Sioux Lookout Hydro is seeking an energetic and enthused individual to lead the Operations staff. This position provides the technical support and expertise to analyze complex problems and assist the corporation to adapt to new and rapidly changing situations.
Reporting to the President/CEO, you will be responsible for the effective management of the construction, operation, and maintenance of the electrical distribution facilities of the Utility. You will provide direct supervision to the Lines department and assume overall responsibility for the Health and Safety of Sioux Lookout Hydro as it relates to policy development, training and enforcement.
• Consults and confers with the President/CEO on the day-to-day business of the utility
• Plans, budgets, organizes, and directs the affairs of the Operations Division
• Responsible for the development and monitoring of capital and operational budgets with the assistance of finance as required.
• Manage staff to ensure the Collective Agreement is administered in a fair and reasonable manner.
• Assures employees are adequately qualified and equipped to complete their duties in a competent and efficient manner through performance evaluation, training, work allocation, and problem resolution.
• Coordinate and work in cooperation with the JHSC to ensure safe work practices are implemented and complied with, and to promote H&S throughout the Corporation.
• Ensure staff adhere to established safety rules, work practices, construction standards, and corporate policies; Conducts and documents regular crew visits.
• Verifies field installations are built to construction standards as required by the construction verification program.
• Executes expenditures for plans, projects, and programs according to OM&A and Capital budgets.
• Ensures fleet equipment is maintained in a safe and reliable condition as per manufacturers’ recommendations and prescribed regulations.
Qualifications and Skills
• College or University Diploma in Engineering or a related field, plus five to seven years’ experience at the management level in the electric utility industry.
• A combination of academic credentials and background experience which demonstrates understanding/familiarity with the electric utility industry or which exemplifies a viable/desirable transfer of skills and abilities from other industry sectors.
• Journeyman Certification with a minimum 10 years of related experience in an urban and rural distribution environment including both overhead and underground systems is desirable.
• Ability to communicate effectively and concisely, orally, electronically (email), and in writing.
• Have a proven ability to supervise effectively; Supervisory experience in an electric utility environment is highly desirable.
• Ability to deal with stakeholders in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Familiar with resource planning, scheduling and crew management to maximize productivity, efficiency and ensure safe work practices and quality workmanship are adhered to.
• Possess an in-depth knowledge of electric utility construction methods, utility protection code, OHSA and EUSA Rule Book, including planning new installations and line design, as well as troubleshooting and repairing system faults,
• A thorough knowledge of all electrical industry regulations and technical specifications including USF, ESA, CSA and CEA, as well as the ability to relate same to subordinates.
• A thorough understanding of ESA Regulation 22/04 with relation to Construction Verification programs would be advantageous.
• Computer literacy and demonstrated proficiency in the use of personal computers and various software applications, such as Outlook, Excel and Word.
• Possess working knowledge of utility fleet maintenance practices.
• Ability to read and interpret blue prints, technical drawings and specifications.
• Ability to analyze processes and articulate recommendations for improvements.
• Demonstrated proficiency in project management and asset management.
• Valid Driver’s License with an excellent driving record.
In addition to a competitive salary, Sioux Lookout Hydro Inc. also offers a comprehensive benefit package. Candidates interested in the above position are invited to submit in confidence a cover letter and a detailed resume by 4:00 pm on April 22, 2019 to:
Sioux Lookout Hydro Inc.
Attention: Deanne Kulchyski, President/CEO
25 Fifth Ave., PO Box 908
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1B3
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Sioux Lookout Hydro is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from all qualified individuals.