Internal Job Posting
1.0 FTE Indigenous Education Lead
Competition # 2021-22-145
SNCDSB is searching for collaborative, dynamic leaders that support student engagement, well-being and achievement within a Catholic organization.
The Indigenous Education Lead is responsible for connecting and engaging First Nation, Metis, Inuit (FNMI) students, parents/guardians, schools and communities with a focus on creating a culture of caring and learning.
Overall Roles and Responsibilities:
● Work collaboratively with all partners for continuous improvement in student achievement and well- being;
● Organize student and community activities with a diverse cultural focus;
● Work with other SST’s and school leaders to provide support and current resources to enhance student learning in Indigenous Education across all subject areas;
● Share information and best practices that align and support the implementation of the Multi Year Strategic Plan and Board Action Plan;
● Impart in-depth knowledge of Indigenous traditions, culture and practices;
● Collaborate with Indigenous and non-Indigenous organizations to improve partnerships within the SNCDSB;
● Work with classroom educators to provide community-based prevention and intervention services and activities to support the academic, social, spiritual and emotional learning of all students at the elementary school level.
Specific Role and Responsibilities:
● Work with the Superintendent of Education to implement and report on the Indigenous Education Board Action Plan and Ministry reporting as required;
● Support the implementation of the Ontario First Nations, Metis and Inuit Education Policy Framework;
● Support and play a lead role in the formation, maintenance, and growth of the Indigenous Education Advisory Committee;
● Support SNCDSB Education Service Agreements and voluntary self-identification;
● Support the implementation of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission;
● Support Indigenous Language and Indigenous Language Teachers; and
● Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent of Education.
Qualifications and Experience Required:
● Current member in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers
● Experience teaching First Nations Metis and/or Inuit students
● Primary, Junior and Intermediate qualifications preferred
● 5 years minimum teaching experience preferred
The following Additional Qualifications and Experiences would be as asset:
● Proficiency in oral and or written Ojibwe preferred
● Any Additional Qualifications that support Indigenous Education
● Experience in delivering cultural teachings
● Special Education Part 1
● Previous system experience or collaboration on system projects/initiatives
● Strong knowledge of Assistive Technology & Google Apps for Education
● Current Pastoral Reference (if applicable)
● Cover Letter and Resume of qualifications and experience
● Copy of Ontario College of Teachers - Certification of Qualification
● Most recent evaluation or most recent appraisal.
● A minimum of three (3) professional references which must include your current or most recent supervisor. Email addresses must be included in order for your package to be considered complete. Reference Check Consent Form can be found on our website.
● Extensive Travel throughout the Board and Provincially Please submit your application indicating competition number to: email@example.com by Monday, June 20, 2022, at 4:00 pm
Superior North Catholic District School Board is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)
Ms. Judy Wawia
Ms. Maria Vasanelli
Director of Education