Position: Project Manager, Rapid Lynx Fibre (full-time)
Department: Economic Development
Contract: Two-year contract with possibility of renewal
Salary: Pay will be commensurate with experience and ability
Purpose of the Position:
The Matawa First Nations Chiefs Council established the Rapid Lynx Telecommunications General Partnership, a company offering a combined long-haul and fibre to the home system. Rapid Lynx, established in 2017, will build and operate its own network with fibre optic cable routes across Northwestern Ontario, connecting underground landing points, data centres, community anchors, colocation facilities, enterprises, schools and First Nation governments with the most advanced dark fibre system.
The Project Manager reports to the Economic Development Manager and works under the general authority of the Rapid Lynx Board of Directors. The Project Manager will have a background in engineering or construction, direct experience in working with First Nations in Ontario, and a demonstrated track record of building positive, mutually-beneficial relationships with vendors, governments and external partners. The Project Manager has the responsibility to work with a team to oversee the design and deployment of the Rapid Lynx Fibre Network including facilities, electronics and equipment. The Project Manager will activate services and connect customers while ensuring system integration and improvements.
• Successfully manage all assigned project components including Design and Deployment, Equipment Procurement, Outside and Inside Plant Engineering and Construction,
• Ensure system integration to meet corporate, customer, and First Nations’ expectations (e.g, consent).
• Create planning and tracking documents for managing projects with completeness and accuracy. This includes establishing broadband project goals and objectives, identifying scope, developing a detailed project schedule, analyzing risks and contingency plans, managing quality, assigning resources appropriately, monitoring and managing budget.
• Coordinate with project team during the design, staking and construction of Backbone and Distribution Networks to ensure conformance with capital plan, business plan, technology plan and project timeline, as well as requirements of Operating Partner and key wholesale/enterprise customers.
• Oversee and coordinate with assigned statements of work and bid packages for construction of network project.
• Develop forms of contract and Requests for Proposals for site preparation, design, delivery and deployment of facilities and systems.
• Oversee testing, engineering inspection and certification of the Rapid Lynx Fibre network including the final testing with vendor integrator Operating Partner, upstream network providers.
Qualifications / Skills
• A University degree or diploma in science, technology, engineering, or an equivalent combination of formal training with 3 or more years technical experience in design and management of cable telecommunications networks, IT or construction.
• PMP certification preferred.
• Experience managing Outside Plant projects.
• Advanced skills in MS Office, Project, Visio, and Google Earth.
• GIS/Mapping, AutoCAD experience a plus.
• Experience conducting end to end project management of large fiber deployment projects; able to provide technical and analytical guidance to a project team.
• Electric Utility Experience a plus.
• Experience with various fiber optic / carrier / collocation (Large data centers) products and services in an operational, engineering or implementation role.
• Relationship management experience (government/First Nations, clients, etc.) preferred.
• Civil/and or telecommunications construction background preferred.
• The ability to travel to remote First Nations communities in Northwestern Ontario.
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter with resume and (3) employment references to:
Matawa First Nations Management
RE: Project Manager, Rapid Lynx Fibre
Economic Development Department
233 South Court Street, Thunder Bay ON P7B 2X9
Or Fax to: (807) 344-2977
Closing Date: Friday, March 30, 2018, 4:30 pm (EST)
Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For the full job description please visit our website: www.matawa.on.ca.