Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
Senior Rock Mechanic
We are seeking a Senior Rock Mechanic reporting directly to the Technical Services Manager.
• Supervise/Lead a team of geotechnical personnel. (and every responsibility that comes with supervising a small team of tech personnel)
• Review and recommend stope sizes, shapes and sequencing, with significant input to the production schedule
• Conduct numerical models and interpret outcomes to determine and estimate future rockmass behaviour
• Update, maintain and analyze the stress model of the mine
• Review and update ground control policies
• Liaise with operations and make ground support recommendations
• Collection and analysis of data relating to strength, stability and stress regime of rock mass
• Work on continuous improvements projects within the Rock Mechanics group
• Maintain, optimise and expand the ESG microseismic system including interpretation and analysis of data
• Maintain, optimise and expand the Newtrax instrumentation network including interpretation and analysis of data
B.Sc. Degree in Mining Engineering, Geological Engineering
Minimum of 5 years experience in Rock Mechanics
Expert in installation and operation of ground control instrumentation
Project coordination and project costing experience would be an asset
Demonstrated ability to develop practical, safe and cost-effective solutions
Proficiency in 3D numerical modelling computer software (Map3D)
Familiarity with Deswik CAD would be advantageous
Some supervisory experience would be an asset
Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening)
Strong facilitation and presentation skills
Ability to positively interact with co-workers and team members
Ability to work with a diverse mix of cultures
The preferable schedule for this position is 4 days on 3 days off, working 12 hour day.
Candidates willing to relocate.
As an equal opportunity employer, Newmont is committed to diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.