The candidate will have the option to work out of our Sault Ste. Marie or Burlington office. If working from Burlington, occasional travel to Sault Ste. Marie will be required.
Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest- cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
- Contribute and/or support in a time-bound manner with the design, execution and completion of testing of the design and operating effectiveness of SOX business process and IT controls including - entity and process level controls, IT general/application controls and other Operational reviews. Evaluate audit findings and coordinate timely remediation of deficiencies. Challenge status-quo and bring effective ideas to enhance the SOX program. Strive for an optimum balance between implementing and executing controls, versus the cost of implementing controls.
- Improve SOX documentation and work papers i.e. work with process-owners to refine risk control matrix, improve process flows, refine/develop test procedures, propose control language and associated risks etc. Develop value-added relationships with process owners/stake holders and make recommendations for process improvement. Lead the preparation of high quality written audit reports.
- Evaluate risks and controls for new system and/or process implementations, assess the financial impact on SOX/other controls and recommend solutions to correct issues identified. Participate in process reviews and identify opportunities for significant enhancements in operational efficiency, overall effectiveness and identifiable benefits to the company.
- Occasionally contribute to Non-SOX and ad hoc projects like operations audits, business process revamps, investigations, data analytics, etc. Drive efficiencies by seeking opportunities for automation, standardization and best practices.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have an undergraduate or graduate Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business (with an Accounting or Finance specialization).
- Must have a Canadian Accounting designation (CA, CPA).
- 4-6 years with SOX audits and controls testing in manufacturing industry.
- Demonstrated communication, persuasion, articulation, assertiveness, and negotiation skills for value add- recommendations.
- Self-starter, excellent interpersonal skills and flexible team player in an environment with changing processes/procedures.
- Time management and multi-tasking to meet deadlines in fast paced & busy environment.
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Critical and analytical thinking skills.
- Technology oriented and eager to learn quickly.
- Willing to travel for Company business.
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, we encourage you to apply today. To learn more about our company and to apply, please visit www.algoma.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.