Positions Available: 1
September 8, 2017
September 20, 2017
Projected Start Date:
Salary / Rate of Pay:
$24.90 to $27.01 per hour
Days of Work
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri
Hours of Work
If you are proficient in a number of skilled trades, then consider this opportunity at Thunder Bay Jail where you will provide general maintenance services and assist other maintenance personnel, as assigned.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this position, you will:
• monitor all heating, ventilation, fire systems and associated electromechanical devices and subsystems
• monitor air conditioning
• check the boiler room on a daily basis as well as check the refrigeration system and conduct chemical tests
• operate and maintain pumps and burners, water softeners, kitchen items and grounds equipment
• repair and maintain tubular steel furniture, water tanks, power plant equipment, security screens and steel structures as well as security and non-security locks
• perform emergency repairs in the absence of other maintenance staff and assist certified tradesmen as required
• complete and maintain appropriate logs and records
• upkeep grounds by cutting grass and shoveling snow
Location: Thunder Bay
How do I qualify?
• you are certified in one of the skilled trades by the designated Ministry of the Ontario government or equivalent experience
• you are certified First Aid and Heartsaver
Technical and Analytical Knowledge/Skills:
• Good understanding of the techniques, equipment and tools used in the skilled trades (plumbing, electrical, welding, brick laying and carpentry)
• Job requires thorough knowledge of operation/maintenance of heating, ventilation, air conditioning/fire systems, and associated instrumentation/control systems
• Ability to perform a wide variety of maintenance tasks
• Ability to interpret, organize and complete blueprints, schematics, specification diagrams and drawings
Legislative Knowledge and Skills:
• Job requires knowledge of relevant legislation, municipal by-laws and codes, provincial building codes
• Job Requires knowledge of the governmental requirements for correctional facility security (i.e. lockouts, tagouts and elevated work procedures to ensure employee safety)
Safety Knowledge and Skills:
• Ability to work in accordance with Occupational Health & Safety and quality standards, institution requirements and job specifications
• Job requires proficiency computers and computer systems related to monitoring automated systems for mechanical and electrical equipment, electronic locking systems, and building environmental controls
• Good computer skills to prepare reports, and respond to internal mail
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• Good communication skills to liaise with senior institution staff and make recommendations concerning maintenance/overhaul/special project priorities etc.
• Good interpersonal skills to provide technical information to local institution committees
Salary Range: $24.90 to $27.01 per hour
• 1 Permanent, 285 Mcdougall St, Thunder Bay, North Region, Enhanced - CPIC, VSS, PIP, Niche/RMS, Credit
Please apply online, only, at www.ontario.ca/careers, quoting Job ID 111830, by Friday, September 20, 2017. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario’s Human Rights Code.