Skip to content

Barbecue fire causes extensive damage to Victor Street home

Heavy smoke and fire encountered by Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews on Sunday afternoon.
Victor Street Fire
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue firefighters attack a fire at a Victor Street home on Sunday, June 6, 2021. (Submitted photo)

THUNDER BAY -- A barbecue fire got out of hand on Sunday afternoon, leaving a Victor Street home with extensive damage inside and out.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews responded to a report of a fire at about 4:30 p.m., arriving to find heavy smoke and fire emanating from the rear of the home.

In a release, TBFR says the fire spread quickly from its origin to the rear portion of the home, then upward through the roof. High wind conditions in the area were a major factor in the fire's spread.

Multiple attack lines were unleashed, and an aggressive exterior attack was conducted, which kept the fire from spreading any further.

No one was hurt in the fire and the occupants of the home managed to self-evacuate safely.

The fire department reminds residents not to leave cooking appliances unattended, both indoors and outdoors.

Leith Dunick

About the Author: Leith Dunick

A proud Nova Scotian who has called Thunder Bay home since 2002, Leith has been the editor of Thunder Bay Source for 19 years and has served a similar role with since 2009. Wants his Expos back. Twitter: @LeithDunick
Read more