Skip to content

Broadway Avenue fire destroys shed

Firefighter lands in hospital with minor injuries following evening fire.
Broadway Fire
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews tackle a fire at a residence in the 1800 block of Broadway Svenue on Friday, August 12, 2022. (TBFR photo)

THUNDER BAY -- A faulty battery charging device is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a Broadway Avenue shed and damaged an adjacent home  

The lone occupant of the residence was able to evacuate safely.  

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue crews arrived on scene at about 6:39 p.m. on Friday to find the shed, located at the rear of the property, fully engulfed.  

Firefighters quickly initiated a rapid fire attack to extinguish flames that had mostly consumed the shed and had started to spread to the exterior of the house.

According to a TBFR release, the quick action of firefighters reduced the threat of flames and radiant heat extending into the interior living area of the home,

The fire had spread into the soffit and eaves of the rear of the home.

Fire crews completed a search of the interior of the home.

Additional firefighters worked aggressively to cut into the roof section of the rear of the home to access and extinguish fire within the concealed space in a portion of roof located at the rear of the house thus preventing additional loss to the structure.

Moderate exterior damage was done to the home, located in the 1800 block of the south-side street  

One firefighter sustained minor injuries at the scene and was taken to hospital for treatment and then released.  

A total of six pumpers, and the platoon chief responded to this incident.

Leith Dunick

About the Author: Leith Dunick

A proud Nova Scotian who has called Thunder Bay home since 2002, Leith is Dougall Media's director of news, but still likes to tell your stories too. Wants his Expos back and to see Neil Young at least one more time. Twitter: @LeithDunick
Read more


push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks