Skip to content
15.3 °Cforecast >
Cloudy

Cigarette cause of Marks Street house fire, investigation reveals

Investigators believe the careless disposal of a cigarette was the cause of a fire that left a home with extensive damage on Saturday.
0
Marks street fire 5
Firefighters managed to contain a Saturday morning blaze that left a Marks Street home with extensive damage. (Michael Charlebois / tbnewswatch)

THUNDER BAY -- Investigators believe the careless disposal of a cigarette was the cause of a fire on the city's south side this past Saturday.

The blaze, which occurred in the 200 block of North Marks Street., forced the evacuation of five individuals and caused extensive damage.

Investigators say the fire appears to have started underneath the front deck of the two-and-a-half storey home.

Investigators told Dougall Media two women and a child had to make their way from the top floor, through flames, and out the front door. As a result of the panic, a door was left open allowing the interior fire to spread quickly.

Firefighters arrived at the scene to find the structure fully involved, but the first arriving pumper crew quickly knocked down the flames.

A second alarm was called in due to the size of flame and potential for spreading to neighbouring residences.

The five individuals residing in the home evacuated safely, and are now being accommodated by the Red Cross.




Comments