Skip to content

UPDATED 3:45 p.m. – Derailed train spills crude oil west of Fort Frances

Residents who were forced out of their homes are allowed to return
0
cn-rail-gn

EMO, Ont. — A precautionary evacuation around the site of a train derailment west of Fort Frances was lifted at mid-afternoon Wednesday.

Residents within an 800-metre radius of the accident had been forced out of their homes Tuesday evening.

Because Highway 602 remained closed, Ontario Provincial Police said residents returning home would have to use alternate routes.

No estimate was provided for the timing of the reopening of the highway at the CNR crossing on the outskirts of Emo.

Five tanker cars leaked an undisclosed amount of crude oil after the Tuesday night derailment which involved about 30 cars in total.

There was no fire, and no one was injured.

CN said preliminary reports indicated no oil had entered any waterway.

A spokesperson for the provincial environment ministry said cold weather (-25 C) was helping to keep the oil from spreading.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation by the Transportation Safety Board of Canada.

Emo Township Mayor Harold McQuaker has asked area residents to keep away from the Highway 602 railway crossing and the accident site until the all-clear is given.

The local elementary school and the Emo landfill site were closed Wednesday because of the incident.

Hydro One reported that about 147 customers in the area were without power from 9:30 p.m. Tuesday until 8:00 a.m. Wednesday as a result of the accident.

 



Gary Rinne

About the Author: Gary Rinne

Born and raised in Thunder Bay, Gary started part-time at Tbnewswatch in 2016 after retiring from the CBC
Read more


Comments