Ontario’s education minister admits the province should have done better in explaining changes to sex education curriculum.
Minister Leona Dombrowsky was in Thunder Bay Friday to address the Ontario Catholic School Trustees’ Association Annual General Meeting at Valhalla Inn.
"We allowed someone else to tell our story," Dombrowsy said. "And it was sadly, woefully inadequate even incorrect."
Dombrowsky said it was important for her to clarify for trustees that the government has spent two years developing the new curriculum which mainly deals with physical and health education. The sex education part only makes up about 10 per cent of the new teaching she said. Due to criticism, the province removed changes to sex education teaching last week.
"We will remove the part of the curriculum that deals with sex education we want to do more work on that with parents and get more feedback," Dombrowsky said.
Once a Catholic trustee herself, Dumbrowsky told the crowd of trustees from across the province that the McGuinty government is fully committed to Catholic schools in Ontario. She wanted to highlight common goals between the province and Catholic schools such as improving high school graduation rates and improving public confidence.
Dombrowsky said she didn’t want to put a timeline on when the new sex education curriculum would be implemented but the remaining 90 per cent of physical and health education will start in September.