Skip to content
15.7 °Cforecast >
Light Rain

Fire strikes home

The cause of a fire at a Mary Street home was a candle on a coffee table, determined fire officials. Fire prevention officer Paul Abernathy said a male had fallen asleep on the couch and possibly knocked the candle over.
0
331976_635321208114546479
Fire investigators were on scene Thursday morning at an East Mary Street home. (Jodi Lundmark, tbnewswatch.com)

The cause of a fire at a Mary Street home was a candle on a coffee table, determined fire officials. 

Fire prevention officer Paul Abernathy said a male had fallen asleep on the couch and possibly knocked the candle over. 

A man was sent to hospital early Thursday after suffering burns from the fire.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue officials said the single-family dwelling was “well involved” when they arrived at about 1 a.m., and quickly brought the blaze under control.

The victim, who has since been released from hospital, managed to escape, but suffered burns to his hands and arms, as well as smoke inhalation.

Twenty-three fire personnel attended the scene. The home sustained extensive damage. 

Abernathy said the whole upper level of the home was severely damaged. 

The cause of the fire is currently under investigation.



More Local News