WINNIPEG — Charges have been laid against a Manitoba RCMP officer who is accused of abusing his children.
The RCMP says the abuse allegedly occurred between 2010 and 2016.
Charges of assault and assault with a weapon were laid against the officer on Wednesday.
Police are not releasing his name, detachment and the number of children involved.
They will only say the Mountie has seven years of service and is suspended with pay.
The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba, which reviews police activities, is monitoring the RCMP investigation.
Manitoba RCMP Chief Supt. Mark Fisher said in statement that "we hold our officers accountable for their actions."
Fisher also said that in addition to the charges, there will be an internal investigation into the officer's conduct.
The announcement in Manitoba came a day after word that an RCMP officer in Red Deer, Alta., had been charged with sexual assault.
Const. Jason Tress is facing two counts of sexual assault involving two women and two counts of breach of trust, including one involving a third woman.
Tress is scheduled to appear in Red Deer provincial court on April 12.
The Canadian Press