Residents across the city’s south side reported foul odours of gas early Friday evening, which have been traced to an area mill.
Officials with Thunder Bay Fire Rescue say they began receiving calls at 7:30 p.m. alerting them to strong odours of gas from the Westfort area and into the East End.
Upon investigating the odour fire crews were able to trace the source to the Resolute Mill on Neebing Avenue where mill personnel informed them there had been a release of condensed non-combustible gas due to a kiln flame going out.
The gas is non-toxic and does not present any danger.
Fire officials added that weather conditions were a factor in the odour spreading over such a large area and that it was dissipated in approximately an hour.
The Ministry of the Environment was notified of the release.
Fire officials will not investigate the matter further.