Skip to content

Investigation of Carl Avenue homicides remains ongoing

Police say they are still continuing to probe the double-murder after charges laid against Garnet Loon and Kailee Loon.
0
Carl Street Deaths

THUNDER BAY – As investigators continue to piece together what led to what the deaths of a 50-year-old man and 22-year-old woman inside a Carl Avenue residence, one of the suspects charged with murder had been previously convicted of manslaughter from a 2007 homicide.

Two people – 41-year-old Garnet Loon and 19-year-old Kailee Loon – are each facing two counts of second degree murder after the bodies of Robert Lloyd Gray and Kory Lee Campbell were found inside the home at 248 Carl Avenue.

Thunder Bay Police Service spokesman Chris Adams on Tuesday said police received a 911 call on the evening of July 1, leading officers to the north side residence where the bodies were discovered.

“It’s been a pretty complex investigation. There has been a lot of good work done in that two individuals have been arrested and charged with second degree murder,” Adams said.

“This is still an ongoing investigation and there is still a tremendous amount of follow-up that is occurring.”

Both of the accused were arrested by provincial police officers in Sioux Lookout on Sunday morning and transported back to Thunder Bay where they appeared via video court on Monday.

Garnet Loon had previously been charged with second degree murder in the Dec. 24, 2007 slaying of 18-year-old Jordan Achneepineskum and had been sentenced to six years after pleading guilty to manslaughter in 2009.

Adams said while the accused and victims were known to each other, it would be premature to speculate on the details of the connections, the circumstances of what caused the incident or whether there any other suspects.

“The nature of the relationship and who was who in that relationship is still a matter of investigation and that’s what our folks are still looking at,” Adams said.

Police had been called to the same address late last December after three people were stabbed. No charges have been laid in relation to that incident.

Adams could not answer whether the victims nor either of the accused were involved in that case.

“That residence certainly was a residence of interest to us from a past incident,” Adams said. “That is going to be looked at. Anything connected to these individuals, whether it was a police incident or not, will be examined.”

Police are still holding the scene, which is being processed by the forensic examination unit.

Adams said autopsies are scheduled for later this week in Toronto.