Skip to content

UPDATED: OPP arrest suspect in relation to Forest Street shooting

Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate following the interaction with the accused near Hurkett.

THUNDER BAY – A person was sent to hospital with serious injuries following a shooting incident in the Intercity area on Tuesday afternoon. 

The incident led to a confrontation between the shooting suspect OPP officers on Highway 11/17 later on Tuesday, as police shot at a 34-year-old man. Ontario's Special Investigations Unit reported Wednesday that had not led to any reported injuries.

Thunder Bay Police Service officers with the Uniform Patrol Branch were dispatched to a residential address in the 1200 block of Forest Street just before 1 p.m. following reports of a seriously injured male in the area.

When police arrived, they located an adult male who had injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. Paramedics with the Superior North EMS transported the male to the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre for further evaluation and treatment of their injuries.

“We responded here with the initial information that we had a shooting and that we knew there was one victim and we were able to clear the residence and we confirm at this time that we only have one victim that we’re aware of,” said Insp. Ryan Gibson.

“So now we’re just gathering facts and evidence. Detectives will be out here canvassing the neighbourhood taking statements, those types of things.”

The shooting lead OPP to warn residents in the Hurkett area that they were searching for an armed person connected with the shooting, before announcing later in the afternoon they had made an arrest.

During the search near Hurkett, more than a dozen OPP cruisers were seen in the area, significantly backing up traffic on the highway.

There was also a low-pass surveillance plane and helicopter involved in the search that lead to the arrest.

The shooting on Forrest Street no doubt shocked a neighbourhood not often on police radar, though Gibson stressed these acts can happen anywhere.

"Sometimes bad things happen in good areas and this is one of those things. This is a very safe area, very well kept, all the homes are very nice, good people down here, it's just an unfortunate series of events that have occurred today," Gibson said. 

The victim’s condition remains unknown at this time.  

The province's Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate at this time following the interaction with the accused near Hurkett.

The mandate of the SIU is to maintain confidence in Ontario’s police services by assuring the public that police actions resulting in serious injury, death, or allegations of sexual assault are subjected to rigorous, independent investigations. 

Note: This article has been updated with information released by the SIU on Wednesday, March 9. An earlier version of this article referred to reports of a possible fatal police shooting. The SIU advised Wednesday no injuries had been reported as a result of OPP officers discharging their weapons.


push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks