Skip to content

Person fatally electrocuted in artistic wood burning process

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue says the practice involves using high-electricity voltage generators or other components to burn images of lightning or trees into chemically soaked wood.
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue 2021 2

THUNDER BAY -- Thunder Bay Fire Rescue are warning the public to use extreme caution when practising the art of fractal wood burning, saying a local resident died from electrocution over the weekend. 

The process, also known as Lichtenberg, is used to burn lightning or tree-like figures into wood using high-electricity voltage generators or other, similar components, the wood soaked in a chemical solution. 

TBFR, in a release issued on Tuesday, said there are hundreds of instructional videos that can be found online providing step-by-step instructions on how to modify household appliances, such as a microwave oven, to take part in the artistic endeavour. 

"This is an extremely dangerous process with deadly consequences and I would strongly recommend that people do not try this," Fire Chief Greg Hankkio said. 

A warning has also been issued on the Electrical Safety Authority's website.

“Do not attempt to assemble or use a Lichtenberg generator for any purpose. They are extremely dangerous, contain live accessible wiring and components, and are unsafe for any use or handling. Both homemade and pre-built Lichtenberg generators are considered to have the potential to seriously injure and or death.” 

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue has not released information about the victim, including their name, age or gender. 

Leith Dunick

About the Author: Leith Dunick

A proud Nova Scotian who has called Thunder Bay home since 2002, Leith is Dougall Media's director of news, but still likes to tell your stories too. Wants his Expos back and to see Neil Young at least one more time. Twitter: @LeithDunick
Read more


push icon
Be the first to read breaking stories. Enable push notifications on your device. Disable anytime.
No thanks