Skip to content
-11.4 °Cforecast >
Mostly Cloudy

Probe continues into fatal carbon monoxide leak

Coroner's office is leading the investigation
0
McTavish Street Police
Thunder Bay Police stand guard in front of a McTavish Street residence, where on Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018. (Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com)

THUNDER BAY -- Thunder Bay Police continued on Tuesday to secure the scene of a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Thunder Bay's east end.

A 55-year-old man died in the incident at a McTavish Street home Sunday night.

A post-mortem on the body of the man, whose name has not been released, will be conducted in Toronto by the provincial coroner's office.

Two women and one man who were also in the house were taken to hospital for treatment.

Five police officers who entered the home to rescue them and another occupant, despite the danger posed by the carbon monoxide, required treatment as well.

Police are providing security at the residence for the coroner's office pending the coroner's decision to release the scene.

So far there is no word from any official source on whether the residence had a carbon monoxide detector.

Police previously indicated that residents of the upstairs portion of the two-storey home called 9-1-1 when they discovered there was a problem.

The Ontario government's Technical Standards and Safety Authority sent staff to the residence from its Fuels Devices Safety Program.

A spokesperson told tbnewswatch.com that gas service at the residence was turned off and the site was made safe, but TSSA inspectors are currently not allowed access until they receive clearance from the coroner's office.

"We are not in a position to make any conclusions at this time," the spokesperson said.