City of Thunder Bay Media Release
November 30, 2016 –A Simpson Street tenant pleaded guilty in Provincial Court last week to disabling a smoke alarm and was fined $1,000 plus court costs.
The charge was a result of an investigation done by Thunder Bay Fire Rescue after a structural fire at a Simpson Street apartment building in June. The tenant had removed the smoke alarm to paint and neglected to re-install it.
“Working smoke alarms give you the early warning that’s needed to safely exit your home,” said Deputy Fire Chief Greg Hankkio.
“Tampering with, failing to maintain, or not having a working smoke or carbon monoxide alarm is against the law and Thunder Bay Fire Rescue has a zero tolerance policy regarding smoke and carbon monoxide alarm compliance.”
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that working smoke alarms are required on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
Carbon monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside any sleeping area if your home has a fuel fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information residents are encouraged to visit www.thunderbay.ca/fire.