THUNDER BAY POLICE SERVICE
Police arrested a Toronto man and seized a quantity of cocaine, fentanyl and a non-firearm prohibited weapon following a traffic stop Thursday night.
Thunder Bay Police Service officers with the Uniform Patrol Branch were in the area of the 1000-block of Simpson Street just before 11:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 28 when they observed a suspicious vehicle.
Further investigation revealed the vehicle was possibly connected to drug-trafficking activity.
A traffic stop was conducted without incident.
Upon further investigation police learned the male driver was in possession of a quantity of cash believed to have been obtained through criminal activity. Police also learned the driver was in possession of suspected Percocet pills, a quantity of suspected fentanyl, a quantity of suspected cocaine, and a quantity of suspected heroin.
The male was arrested and transported to the TBPS headquarters at 1200 Balmoral Street.
Police also found the accused to be in possession of a non-firearm prohibited weapon.
Matthew Kwasi ASARE-BOAH, 32, of Toronto, is charged with:
• Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Carrying a Concealed Weapon
• Possession of a Weapon for Dangerous Purpose
• Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon in a Motor Vehicle
• Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Weapon Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
• Possession of Cocaine for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Possession of Heroin for the Purpose of Trafficking
• Possession of Fentanyl for the Purpose of Trafficking x 2
• Possession of a Firearm Contrary to Prohibition Order x 2
• Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000
He appeared in bail court on Friday, Jan. 29, 2021 and was remanded into custody with a future appearance date.