It still amazes me how many people are dehydrated and don’t even know it.
I can’t count the times I’ve worked with a client that thinks they’re just fine when it comes to hydration, only to find out that they are extremely dehydrated.
No…coffee, tea, milk, juices and manufactured beverages DO NOT count as substitutes for water. Our body demands water. Pure, clean, clear water.
So many functions in our body depend on it. Our body is comprised of necessary water throughout, like muscles - 75% water, blood – 82% water, lungs – 90% water, brain - 85% water and bones – 25% water.
So when you’re lacking water, it can have profound effects on your health. Imagine how impeded the brain functions being dehydrated!
Water is our lifeblood.
The body signals dehydration in a few ways. First it will signal through pain, which can be mistaken for injury.
The human body is composed of 25 percent solid matter and 75 percent water. Brain tissue is 85 percent water.
When we deplete our cells of water, they signal us through pain – our legs ache, our back aches, and if we continue to ignore it, it may cause adverse reactions.
Next it signals you through hunger. Many times when you feel a craving, you’re simply just dehydrated.
Lastly, it will signal you with thirst. At this point, your body’s evaporation exceeds its’ replenishment.
Let’s have a look at the benefits we reap from beautiful water.
Benefits of Water to the Body
- Keeps you hydrated –giving the body the ability to function properly without pain or loss of system function.
- Improves brain function –minute depletions have a profound effect on its ability to work effectively.
- Reduces pain – as the first indicator of dehydration, pain is the by-product produced when the body is lacking water. It is the signal that occurs when water crosses over the nerve endings. By keeping hydrated, you will improve muscle movement, function and recovery.
- Increases flexibility – water allows increased movement and fluidity within the muscle fibers.
- Reduces risk of disease – water keeps toxins and waste flushed from the body, organs functioning correctly, and prevents loss of body functions within the systems.
- Helps digest food – aiding in reducing the effects of heartburn and GIRDSPrevents Colitis – dehydration causes persistent constipation, which results in pain because the intestine constricts to squeeze the last drop of water from the excrements creating a lack of water lubrication.
- Lubricates the joints and reduces the symptoms of arthritis
- Reduces hunger, aiding in weight loss
- Improves vision Prevents headaches and migraines Helps reduce the symptoms of asthma
- Prevents high blood pressure by keeping our cells hydrated and blood pressure where it should be.
- Lowers Blood Cholesterol
- Improves elasticity in skin, and moisture in hair and nails
- Improves sleep function
- Aids in distribution of nutrients through the body.
Minty Fresh: Crush mint in a glass, grind them down and soak in jug of water.
Cool Cucumber: – Slice up a cucumber and add it to a pitcher of water and chill it for 2 to 3 hours so the cucumber flavor can permeate. It's the perfect refreshing drink for a hot, summer day.
Filter Your Water – It sometimes makes all the difference in the taste of tap water.
Cheers to Canada’s largest commodity – WATER!