NIPIGON — One of four men facing charges connected to a Sept. 14 Nipigon alleged kidnapping that left another man with significant injuries has been granted release from custody following a bail hearing on Monday.
Harold Robert Sault, 29, of Lake Helen First Nation was arrested on Sept. 18 with kidnapping while using certain firearms, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and a variety of firearm-related offences, according to an OPP news release from Sept. 24.
Sault appeared in court by audio on Monday, Nov. 9, and was granted bail by a justice of the peace.
Sault’s bail conditions include he must live with his surety in Lake Helen First Nation and remain under house arrest conditions unless he is in the direct presence of his surety. He also can't have any visitors unless they are approved by his surety and he cannot have any contact with his co-accused: Andrew Otway, Billy John Thompson and Jayson Lawson-Balodis or the alleged victim.
His surety also pledged $7,500, no deposit, as a condition for Sault’s release.
Nipigon OPP announced they were investigating a violent abduction on Sept. 21. Police said they responded to reports of a man who had been abducted, forcibly confined and assaulted with a firearm in the town of Nipigon on Sept. 14. The victim managed to escape his captors and received assistance from a witness who contacted the police. The victim was transported to the hospital with serious injuries, police said.
Police initially arrested Otway and Thompson but had identified two other suspects, Lawson-Balodis and Sault, who were arrested a few days later.
His co-accused, Thompson, was released on bail on Oct. 21. Court documents show Lawson-Balodis was granted bail on Nov. 5. Otway remains in custody and is expected to return to court on Nov. 12 for bail phase.
Sault is scheduled to appear in court next in December.